Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Customization :

&html_record_form(%in) Question

Quote Reply
&html_record_form(%in) Question
Okay, things are going really well with DBman and I've really gotten a lot of help from reading the older posts on this board. I'm loving DBMan, its a great program but... As you may have guessed, I got myself a bit of a stumper (forgive, I'm a bit of a CGI novice).

Okay, basically I've created different view forms depending on the function the user wants to perform. For example, if they want to do a search of the database they get a different form than if they are adding on and a different one if they are modifying, etc. The way I've done this is by replacing the call for &html_record_form with actual HTML code with variables in it. It only calls the &html_record_form during the add.

Now, the problem I'm running into is during Search Failures, for example. When a search fails the script calls:

&html_record_form(%in)

The (%in) I assume calls the input from what the user just entered and fills in the fields as they were entered by the user. But since I'm not making a call to a subroutine to the &html_record_form anymore how do I get the fields to retain the information that the user just entered?

Does this make sense? I'll try to clarify, if I'm not making sense. Any help would be appreciated beyond belief. Thanks in advance!

--WretchedHive
Quote Reply
Re: &html_record_form(%in) Question In reply to
rather than changing the record_form, what i did to get different forms for different functions was just to copy the record_form and then rename it to something else...like recordadd_form or whatever. you can then keep all the script the same except for the html adjustments you want to make and just have the function sub routine call this form instead of the record_form. i haven't had any problems at all with this method of doing things and my fields are always filled in whether i get an ewrror or not. i hope this helps if i'm understanding you correctly.

chuck