Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Customization :

What's going on?

Quote Reply
What's going on?
Please don't take offence at this, but I am just curious and sort of in a tight spot. I was supposed to figure out a method for making the database faster a while ago. From the suggestions made in a different topic, I decided that I would go with SQL. So I e-mailed Alex. Then, since I was having some problems with my mailserver, and he hadn't replied after a couple days, I resent it. Then I waited... and waited... and all this time people have been e-mailing me and calling me complaining about the database.

So, I tried to find the phone number for Gossamer Threads so I could call them... well, I found one number, but when I tried it, it was invalid!!

If anyone working at Gossamer Threads is reading this, could you please, please tell me how I can contact you? Have you gone out of business??

Again, please don't take this the wrong way. It's just that I have been pushed very hard recently, and so I can't understand why I'm not getting any response at all.

Thanks!

Moishe Groger
groger@sdf.lonestar.org
Quote Reply
Re: What's going on? In reply to
Why don't you go through the registration forms linked from the DBMAN home page and order a copy of the SQL license?

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
----------------------

Quote Reply
Yes, I guess that would be the easiest way, but I'm getting it for a non-profit organization, so I'm wondering if there's a discount. $350 is allot to pay, especially when you're not sure it will do what we want it to.

If it's too hard or impossible to customize DBMan the way I need it to be, then I might just give up, and use MS Access for on my computer. Then, when I want to update the web version, I'd just export to a text file and upload. The only differences this would make is 1) I like the DBMan interface better, 2) It would be a pain to do all that importing/exporting, 3) I would have to teach my succesor as Membership chairman two databases instead of one... unacceptable.

But none of that is my biggest question. My biggest question is why thier phone number doesn't work, and why my e-mails aren't answered.

Sorry for venting....
Quote Reply
Alex is quite busy...You have to be very patient with him.

Also, there is discounts for non-for-profit and educational organizations. Yet that has to be discussed with Alex directly.

Also, have you thought about breaking up your database into two databases and use the Relational Mod for DBMAN:

www.jpdeni.com/dbman/Mods/relational.txt

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
----------------------

Quote Reply
Well... ok, but I'm still waiting... :-)

Thanks for telling me about the discounts.

About breaking up the database into two and using the relational mod, I don't think I'll try that because it would be hard to move from a relational flat-file dbman to a non-relational sql dbman. Also, after looking into the relational mod, I found out that you can't do a search on both databases at once. Which won't work for me.

Moishe Groger

P.S. Wait a minute... does anyone reading this know Alex? Could you give me a WORKING phone number of his? :-) I don't see how he can afford to put off a customer whose been wanting to buy for almost two weeks!!
Quote Reply
Alex just recently (within last 2 days) answered a post in the cgi/perl forum on this board.

------------------
donm
All those who believe in psychokinesis, please raise my hand.