Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Customization :

Voting on dbman records

Quote Reply
Voting on dbman records
I have looked through the resources section and cannot find what I'm looking for. I am creating an amature photography site where contestants can upload up to 4 photographs for their entry. I want for other site visitors to be able to select and vote for a photographer (not the individual image). After a vote is cast, the current results are to be displayed showing total votes cast, total votes received for each photographer and percent of votes received for each photographer. Each voter is to be registered, random validation code e-mailed to them and cookies set to discourage multiple voting. Is anyone aware of such a mod for dbman and where might I find it?

Quote Reply
Re: Voting on dbman records In reply to
The only thing I can think of that might do the trick is using the idea the Top Ten MOD. It creates a file in a directory which you create for each record as it is viewed. If the record is already viewed, it takes the number inside the file and adds 1 to it. You could apply this idea to what you want to do. Instead of adding to the file each time the record is viewed, you would add to the file each time the user votes. You would need to create a few new sub routines and change the Top Ten MOD greatly, but it could be done.

Regards,

Michael DeLong
Quote Reply
There have also been several "rating" type mods done but you'll have to search thru the forums for them. I didn't spot any of them in the Resources area.

Quote Reply
You may want to check the FAQ noted below and look under "Images" I believe there are a few thread references located their for rating mods.

You could also use the search feature and search for "rating".

Hope this helps

Unoffical DBMan FAQ
http://webmagic.hypermart.net/dbman/