Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Customization :

View db while fixing original dbman

Quote Reply
View db while fixing original dbman
Hi, I have some trouble with my DBMan now, and started thinking about something.

How is it to set up two DBMan using the same default.db, and default.pass?

Or should I make a copy of the whole thing and just copy default.db and default.pass before I change anything in No 1? (80% of all IT errors are man made - For DBMan I think that must be close to 99 %)

-No 1 is the "real" one where people sign up and add, modify and delete records.
-No2 is a copy where people with access can view and view only. No modifying, changing passwords or email addresses.

This way people can view even if I have some trouble with db.cgi, default.cfg or html.pl in DBMan No 1.

Is it possible to have links to DBman on a static page with an automatic check and posting of results (eg <link to No 1> = OK/Out of order)

Jan Peter
Quote Reply
Re: [JPWiese] View db while fixing original dbman In reply to
Yep... you can even have the scripts in separate directories and still share the same db & password files...

Make a copy of everything and name the new files something like "test.pl, test.cgi, etc"

Then look at your test.cfg file and change the paths accordingly. Mostly so that everything points to the "test" files except default.db and default.pass

Check out LoisC's FAQ for exact instructions:
http://webmagic.hypermart.net/dbman/db/dbfaq.cgi
Quote Reply
Re: [Watts] View db while fixing original dbman In reply to
Thank you - it worked

Jan Peter