Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Customization :

Use DBMan to display info from another DB???

Quote Reply
Use DBMan to display info from another DB???
Hey all, me again. (Real quick..I am the webmaster for the Pinal County Government website, and I deal with all the different departments of the county: HR, Courts, Admin, etc., so that is why I will probably ask some really way out there DBMan questions from time to time Smile )

Anyway, I had another idea for DBMan and was wondering if it would work. I know this can be done, but I don't know about using DBMan to do it, so....

Over at the Courts department, they have a computer that is set up as strictly a database for all their court records and documents and such. I was wondering if it would be possible to create a DBMan front end on our website, that would allow the user to do a search through the records on the other computer?

If this isn't possible, then how about this... If I set up DBMan to have the same record format (same fields, same layout, etc.) as the other database, is there a way that I could then on a regular basis (say each night at midnight or something) have DBMan append any new record entries from the other db to its own, and thereby allowing the user to just use DBMan to search through all the records? I hope I am making sense here... I just want a visitor to be able to do the regular type search for various keywords and such. The search results would then be given as short little snipits so the visitor could tell if they found the right record.

By either method above (or a better one if you know of it, I am extremely open to suggestions here), I would like to give the visitor the following option. When they get their results back, I don't need each return to be the full blown court file, just a little guy telling them what the record is of. Then, within the record, would be a link to the full file. I was wondering if there was a way to make a two fold 'results form'? That being the full court file makes up the whole db record, but the initial search result would only show a few of the fields. Then when they click the link on the small return form, it would open up a second window displaying the full record with all the info.

Again, please let me know if this is possible. If I didn't make something clear, please tell me and I will try to clarify it further. Also, if you know what I am after, but know of a better way, as I said, I am open to suggestions. Thanks for your help!

Andrew
Quote Reply
Re: Use DBMan to display info from another DB??? In reply to
The first thing that I can answer with certainty is your "two-fold" search results question. Take a look at my "short/long" display mod at http://www.jpdeni.com/dbman/short.txt

It's the complete html.pl file, altered a bit for the two-fold display. The basic mod doesn't open up a new window, but you should be able to adjust things for that.

Your other things are a little tougher.

I'm not sure about accessing the files from another computer. I just don't know how to do that, but someone else might. I suppose a lot would depend on how this other computer is connected to the server.

------------------
JPD