Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Customization :

System Created UserId

Quote Reply
System Created UserId
Good Morning Everyone! Quick question for you (I Hope)

What I need to find out is...is it possible to have the system generate a userid based upon information that could be entered at the signup process? Right now when a user requests an account, they simply pick a userid and enter it and their email address. The system then takes this information and generates a random password and emails it to them.

What I would like to do is set up on the new account screen, a field for First Name and Last name, as well as the email address. I would like the system to generate a user-id based upon this data (first initial, last name), and email them the random password. This would ensure that the user is complying to our standard of first initial last name, and verifies their email address.

Some problems I had thought of would be:
1) It would be nice if the script would pass the First Name/Last Name onto the database to store this in their record until they login to the system to add the rest of the fields (User is limited to one record, with the keyid as the username)

2) This mod would need to take into consideration people with last names longer than the allowed character limit for user names. Maybe have the system truncate it?

Thanks for any help you can give!

Chris Kinsler, K4CGK
Assistant Emergency Coordinator, Hanover/Henrico County ARES/RACES
Webmaster, Commonwealth of Virginia ARES/RACES - http://www.aresva.org