Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Customization :

Search Result Output

Quote Reply
Search Result Output
Hello everyone. I am wondering how I can customize my Search Result Output page. Basically, I want my search results to appear in a typical excel format where each record is sorted in one row. I tried JPDeni's "Column Record Display", but it's not what I am quite looking for.

Here is an example:

ID 1, Field 1, Field 2, Field 3, etc...
ID 2, Field 1, Field 2, Field 3, etc...
ID 3, Field 1, Field 2, Field 3, etc...
ID 4, Field 1, Field 2, Field 3, etc...

My current search result appears like this (which I want to change like the one above):

ID 1
Field 1
Field 2
Field 3
--
ID 2
Field 1
Field 2
Field 3

Thank you for your support!
Quote Reply
Re: [jsurfers] Search Result Output In reply to
What you want will require some hacking on your part to make it look nice...

You basically want to modify sub html_record and remove the opening/closing <TABLE><TR> tags (see example attached) so that you *don't* wind up with:

<table>record</table>
<table>record</table>
<table>record</table>

And the goofy formating that comes with it. Instead you'll get:

<table>
record
record
record
</table>

If you use the attached example then you'll have to put the <table> tags in the headers and footers (separate subs). Of course that will screw up your formatting when adding a record. Your best bet is to use the short/long mod. If you don't like the "long part" you can hack that part out.

Also notice how I put in a comment tag <!-- sub html_record -->
Put one of these in each of your subs where the HTML prints. This will help you determine which part of your web page is being generated by which sub.

Good Luck!

Once you start hacking it's kinda hard to stop. Wink
Quote Reply
Re: [Watts] Search Result Output In reply to
Thank you once again Watts! I tried your hack advice (Pirate) and it worked but having more than 20 fields in one row is gonna drive any grandma's crazy (infinity horizontal scrolling). hehehehe...
Quote Reply
Re: [jsurfers] Search Result Output In reply to
You should definitely check out the short/long mod it's made to display a limited number of fields in the record horizontally but links to the entire record which can be displayed in whatever format you choose. See Examples:
Quote Reply
Re: [Watts] Search Result Output In reply to
Watts, thank you for sharing your nice layout. It looks very professional.