Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Customization :

Short/Long Mod

Quote Reply
Short/Long Mod
CGI ERROR
==========================================
Error Message : Error loading required libraries.
Check that they exist, permissions are set correctly and that they compile.
Reason: syntax error at ./html.pl line 353, near "$rec"
syntax error at ./html.pl line 353, near "|;"
syntax error at ./html.pl line 356, near "}"

I have attempted to implement the Short/Long mod *twice*, and each attempt has yielded the above result. I am unable to identify where my problem is (probably a stupid mistake). The db works fine immediately prior to attempting installation.

I would be happy to post my html.pl file somewhere if needed but, preferably, if someone could simply email me a working copy it would be appreciated.

Quote Reply
Re: Short/Long Mod In reply to
If you want to start over with your customizing, there is a file available at http://www.jpdeni.com/...ds/short_html_pl.txt which has the short/long mod installed already. This is a version that uses the "user-friendly" version of the html.pl file, which I think is easier to modify.

If you don't want to start over with your customizing, post your html.pl file on the web where I can take a look at it and I'll find your error.

JPD
Quote Reply
Thank you very much! That is exactly what I was hoping for.

Sincerely,

-Andy

Quote Reply
Cool. Smile

I have been a little confused as to what I should do. Before, I only had the full file available and I got a lot of complaints from people who didn't want to redo their entire html.pl file. So I made the mod for adjusting it.

Sometimes I just can't win! Smile

JPD
Quote Reply
Hi again. If you'll be so kind, I have two more issues:

1) It seems the 'short' listing is being skewed by a count of one -- 1st item in list is Title {correct}, 2nd item listed is the url of the next record URL, 3rd item is Type of the next record, 4th is Date of the next, 5th is Description, etc... you get the picture. At issue may be that I've added an additional field (Email) and will definitely need to add more. Any ideas for alleviating this?

2) Ideally, I would like to have multi-column output for the short listing (two, perhaps even three columns). I found an earlier discussion you had with someone else on this topic, and did get two columns semi-working, but I found it wasn't putting entries on separate lines. Perhaps we can revisit this after addressing the first issue.

Thanks again for your assistance!

Quote Reply
In Reply To:
At issue may be that I've added an additional field (Email) and will definitely need to add more. Any ideas for alleviating this?
Most definitely your problem is directly caused by adding a field after already having records in your database.

There are a couple of things you can do. Delete all the records in your database -- you'll have to do this by hand and not within DBMan -- and add all the fields you are going to need. Then start adding records again.

There is also a mod in the Resource Center for adding fields. It's called "Upgrade Your Database File." I haven't used it, but others have.

In Reply To:
2) Ideally, I would like to have multi-column output for the short listing (two, perhaps even three columns). I found an earlier discussion you had with someone else on this topic, and did get two columns semi-working, but I found it wasn't putting entries on separate lines. Perhaps we can revisit this after addressing the first issue.
My guess is that you didn't include the correct table formatting. But, yes, it would be better to first have your database working correctly before we worry about the output. Smile

JPD
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
Most definitely your problem is directly caused by adding a field after already having records in your database.
I'm sorry. Obviously I was not clear with my comment.

I've already made the changes to the db -- it displays fine for the long list. It also works fine with the default html.pl. What I don't understand is why it does what it does for the short list.

I was simply commenting that perhaps it had something to do with the fact I had added a new field, based upon the symptom.

Quote Reply
Then it sounds like there's a problem with your short display. I'd have to see it to know for sure, though. Can you make your html.pl file available on the web so I can take a look at it?

JPD
Quote Reply
My bad. It was the db after all. I apparently copied the original db to my server once again. Sorry. Blush

On the upside, it's working! Smile

Thanks alot!

Quote Reply
It happens to all of us at one time or another. (And for people like me, a lot more often!) Smile

JPD
Quote Reply
Carol, I am unable to locate the link you referred to earlier (http://www.jpdeni.com/dbman/Mods/short_html_pl.txt). I assume it was placed there temporarily, but I have a need again for a virgin (so to speak) copy.

Is there any chance of obtaining this again? I promise to make a backup copy for future purposes.

Quote Reply
I changed the way the mods were set up. It saved me a lot of time in updating things and a lot of space on my server so I can have room for other mods. Smile

The "user-friendly" file is at http://www.jpdeni.com/dbman/Mods/uf_html.txt. The changes for the short/long mod are at http://www.jpdeni.com/...ds/short_change2.txt.

I revamped the way the "changes" mod is written, so all you have to do is replace the subroutines and add sub html_record_long. I thought this was the best compromise.

JPD
Quote Reply
Thank you!