Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Customization :

Can't read userid written to db by another script

Quote Reply
Can't read userid written to db by another script
I'm trying to use DBman to read a database written by Links. DBman users only have "view" permission. Problem is, users can't view their own records. Looking at the text database itself, everything looks fine. If I go to DBman admin I can read everything fine too, including any individual user's records.

If I change user permissions to allow users to add records directly through DBman, that works, but all other records not added through DBman are still unreadable, even though the userid's are exactly the same. This includes records added with a text editor straight to the db file itself.

It seems that DBman will only allow users to view their own records actually added through DBman. I can't understand how this is possible, since the db is only a text file. I must be missing something basic here.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Jeff

[This message has been edited by jcom (edited April 13, 2000).]
Quote Reply
Re: Can't read userid written to db by another script In reply to
I think more information will be needed here... please post the following information:

- %db_def from your dbman default.cfg
- one record written by dbman
- one record written by links

With this info, we can get an idea of how the database file is structured, and see the differences between how each script writes a record.

--Lee
Quote Reply
Lee,

Thanks for the reply. The info you requested can be viewed at www.chefheaven.com/forum.htm

The problem doesn't appear to be related to the way the scripts are writing the db files, though. For example, just before posting this reply, I viewed the data using DBman. The two records added with DBman with the userid "guest" were the only ones to come up when logging on as "guest," even though the file lists four. All four records came up when logged on as admin, though.

I then entered the db file with Wordpad and simply (and carefully) typed over the last userid "guest", saved the file, and tried to view it with DBman. The file I modified (#118) didn't come up after the over-type.

It appears that I can't edit the db file without DBman at all.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Thanks again,

Jeff
Quote Reply
Jeff,

it sounds to me like a userid check problem of sorts. Do I get you right? When you view the database as guest, it shows you ID# 117 and 118, but none of the others? And if you change "guest" of 118, it crashes that record? How odd.

Maybe... one thing you might want to check out, and this might take some interesting footwork: Is dbman writing an extra space to the end of "guest"? Or maybe is Links? So it would write out "|guest " instead of "|guest"?

--Lee

[This message has been edited by leisurelee (edited April 15, 2000).]
Quote Reply
Lee,

Thanks for the reply.

I solved this problem myself, today. Unfortunately, I have no idea what the problem was, so I can't offer any tips for other readers. I just dumped my entire installation of DBman and started over from the beginning--very carefully.

Thankfully, that took care of the problem. Must have been a corrupted file somewhere. The whole thing still seems weird to me, but it's not worth trying to figure it out now.

Anyway, what I got out of it was a better understanding of the capabilities of DBman, and I'm more impressed than ever. (Especially since it seems to be working perfectly now!)

Thanks again,

Jeff
Quote Reply
LOL!!! Well, as long as it's working for you! If you happen to deduce what it was, however, I'd be interested to know what it was.

Ciao!

--Lee