Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Customization :

DB search multi words..

Quote Reply
DB search multi words..
Hi Guys,

I've setup DBman with a few fields(i.e first name, last name, occupation, etc) and would like to setup a simple search for visitors to use for looking up someone. I was thinking to just use the keyword search but its not working when I search for full name (first and last). I did search the forum and DBman faq site but didn't get anything working... I was able to search multi words (search words) on the DBman faq site so hopefully LoisC can share that info...

Thanks in advance...
Huckle

Last edited by:

Huckle: May 26, 2007, 7:31 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Huckle] DB search multi words.. In reply to
Anyone?
Quote Reply
Re: [Huckle] DB search multi words.. In reply to
In the DBMan FAQ there's a thread called "Combined Field Search" in the Search category that should do what you want.

You could also add another field for the full name, and when adding a record have it fill in the full name from both the first and last name fields automatically for you.

Hope that helps

Unoffical DBMan FAQ

http://creativecomputingweb.com/dbman/index.shtml/
Quote Reply
Re: [LoisC] DB search multi words.. In reply to
Hi LoisC,

Thanks for your suggestions... I've added the Boolean mod and now I can search for multi keywords in the same field but NOT across fields. I tried the combined field search but it’s not that clear... Please be patient with me since I am new with DBman.

I'm hesitant to add another field to include the full name (since I'll have redundant data and will grow the db faster) but will if necessary to move along. I was thinking to use one field that includes "lastname, firstname" this way I can sort by lastname if necessary and search full name against this field. Any suggestion how to implement either of the above solutions?

Thanks in advance
Huck