Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Customization :

search several fields at the same time

Quote Reply
search several fields at the same time
Hi there,

in my DB I have field called activity1 throu activity10. The user enters different values in these fields which he chooses from a drop down box.
How do I search all 10 fields at the same time for one and the same string from a drop down box?
For example the user enters in
- field 1: hockey
- field 2: sailing
- field 3: swimming
When searchin for all users who entered swimming I just want to enter swimming in one activity field and find all of them.
If I enter swimming and sailing as my criteria I would like to receive all which have both of them in their activities.

Question 2:
Is there a way to make a "or" query?

Thanx for the help in advance!

Jakob

Quote Reply
Re: search several fields at the same time In reply to
In Reply To:
Question 2:
Is there a way to make a "or" query?
There's a mod in the Resource Center called Boolean MOD 1.1 that might help you.

I don't know how to answer your other question. I don't know that it can be done.

JPD
http://www.jpdeni.com/dbman/
Quote Reply
Hi,

do you think it would be possible to write all entries in these 10 fields into one field, seperated by a ";". Then one could search one field. When displaying a record one would have to split everything up again.
Would that be possible?

Jakob

Quote Reply
You could use a multiple select list and have it all in one field.

Your users would be able to search using "or," but not "and."

For example, they would be able to find fields with either 'swimming' or 'hockey,' but not records with both.

JPD
http://www.jpdeni.com/dbman/
Quote Reply
Good hint.

Thanxs. I'll try that!

Jakob

Quote Reply
I appologize for adding to this old post, but I have requested a copy of the boolean mod on the forum and have received no replies.

I would really appreciate a copy of the mod if you feel it is still compatible with DBman.

Thank you for your help.

Tommy Gardner
tgardner@tgardner.com