Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Customization :

Private Messaging

Quote Reply
Private Messaging
hey, me again

I was just wondering if anyone could help me. I have a dbman setup and it looks great but i would like for my default user to be able to send a Private message like on this forum has any one got any ideas how i could do this

thanks

look forward to your replies

Davidd

Quote Reply
Re: Private Messaging In reply to
There is a mod called SpamBuster or Send Record that will allow you to contact the record owner with any account.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
what i was looking for is to have it not really to be using a email but for it to write to a text file and when a user logs in to her/his records for there on there homepage a link to the private mail they have like on the forum above (check private)

thanks anyway

davidd

Quote Reply
Sorry...use the Relational Mod to create a "private_message" database file...although keep in mind that with a flat file system, there are tons of limitations..this forum is powered by MySQL for its back-end, so in terms of scalibility and reliability, I would give it some serious thought before building this add-on with a flat file system, which will consume server resources and you are limited in the amount of data you can store.

Good luck!

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Would something like a message forum be what you are looking for? If so, you might want to check the FAQ noted below under "Fields" for a thread called "Creating a Simple Message Forum"

You could also set up a simple guestbook using DBMan which could be used as a messaging system. View the guestbook at the FAQ site for an example.

Unoffical DBMan FAQ
http://webmagic.hypermart.net/dbman/
Quote Reply
For what it's worth, I'm in the process of completing this mod for Links 2.01 as part of my PortalLinks 2.0 mod, and I assume it should be fairly easy to adapt for DBMAN. If anyone is interested in using it, let me know and I'll let you guys adapt it and release it, so long as no one tries to make any money from it and the original credits remain.

Happy Coding,

--Drew
http://www.FindingHim.com
Quote Reply
sounds great

would you let me know when it's compelete

Thanks

Davidd

Quote Reply
Re: [intermarkets] Private Messaging In reply to
Did anyone ever get this to work with DBman? A private messaging addon.
Quote Reply
Re: [donm] Private Messaging In reply to
Let me see if I understand. You want PersonA to be able to click on a link or a button on PersonB's record, which would then build a form for someone to add a record to a second database that could only be seen by PersonB.

It's an interesting take on the "view own" feature. I think the crux of the whole thing would rest in the following line in sub query:
Code:
next LINE if ($restricted and ($db_userid ne $values[$auth_user_field]));

Probably all you would have to do is to create two variable in the .cfg file -- $auth_reader_field (similar to $auth_user_field) and $private_message (set to 1 when you want to use it) -- and do some futzing with the line. I think this would work:

Code:

if ($restricted) {
if ($private_message) {
next LINE if ($db_userid ne $values[$auth_reader_field]);
}
else {
next LINE if ($db_userid ne $values[$auth_user_field]);
}
}

You might want to modify sub html_home so that when the person firsts logs in it would give the number of new messages.

Ah, that brings up the newness of messages. You actually would want a modified modify form to come up when the person reads messages so that he can set that he has read the message. And there would need to be a facility for deleting, which you would encourage your users to do often. People don't usually delete their messages (this is from experience in running a message board), so your db file would fill up quickly. You might even want to warn people that messages would be purged every 30 or 60 or whatever days. I know I helped someone with writing something like that years ago. Lois undoubtedly has it in her database.

JPD
----------------------------------------------------
JPDeni's DBMan-ual
How to ask questions the smart way.
Quote Reply
Re: [JPDeni] Private Messaging In reply to
Thanks jpdeni - I looked through Lois' database and didn't see anything there... maybe Lois would know where to locate it?

I have been trying to get something like this implemented on our site for quite sometime without any luck. I know that a lot of messageboards implement this private messaging - I don't why it couldn't or wouldn't work with dbman?
Quote Reply
Re: [donm] Private Messaging In reply to
I'm pretty sure it can work, although personally I wouldn't use DBMan as a message board. At the very least I'd use MySQL instead of a flat-file ascii database and I'd be more likely to pick up on of the many free php message boards that are available.

I've given you the start for it. If you need any help going on with it, just holler.

JPD
JPDeni's DBMan-ual
Quote Reply
>>>so your db file would fill up quickly

Hmm... you could store messages as individual text files maybe. Haven't really thought it through yet. You could use the relational as an "index" of messages but keep the body/text of the message as the external files (?). That way you could have a bunch of "little" records (ie, ID#, filename).
Quote Reply
Re: [Watts] Private Messaging In reply to
That might work very well.

I encourage anyone to go for it and create the mod. I think that what I posted a couple of days ago solves the central problem of having messages be private, since the default "view_own" would only let the person who wrote the message see it (which would sort of negate the whole purpose of the thing. :-) )

If someone wants to go for it, I'll be glad to help out. I don't really want to build a whole database with DBMan, which is what I'd have to do in order to test a private message mod. But if someone already has one and wants to alter it, I'll be happy to help out with any snags that come up.

JPD
JPDeni's DBMan-ual
Quote Reply
There is a mod called:

Message System addin to DBMan
By Ted Atwood

This mod stores the messages in a text file and then provides a count and a way of retrieving the messages.

I do have an advanced Message Forum which is a relational database but I haven't included the private messaging within it. I do use that feature in guestbooks, but that is for sending a private message to the admin.

I guess I could try and incorporate a private message option within the message board. If someone needs me to test this out I would be willing to take the time to do so. But it may have to wait a couple days or more as I've been busy helping a friend get her rental ready (cleaning and painting, etc.).

I'm attaching the copy of Ted's Mod. message.zip

Unoffical DBMan FAQ

http://creativecomputingweb.com/dbman/index.shtml/

Last edited by:

LoisC: May 6, 2006, 8:12 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [LoisC] Private Messaging In reply to
Hi Lois - thanks for the reply. I would really like to use MySQL and a relational database rather than a flat file version of private messaging.

I am still researching and looking around the internet for a module that may be available and easy to incorporate into dbman.

Donm