Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Customization :

Permissions in .pass ( :0: vs. :: )

Quote Reply
Permissions in .pass ( :0: vs. :: )
I noticed that in admin_display, when writing a record to the .pass file, it doesn't write out zeros.

So instead of looking like "1:0:0:0:0" it looks like "1:::::"

I realize this is because the checkbox name/value pair is either "1" or non-existent, but since the delivered default.pass has zeros in it, I thought I'd ask.

Again, everything is working OK, I'm just checking...
Quote Reply
Re: Permissions in .pass ( :0: vs. :: ) In reply to
What changes have you made to the scripts? (i.e., what mods have you installed?)

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
----------------------

Quote Reply
- Bug Fixes
- Short/Long
- Secure Password Lookup
- File Upload

Thanks, Sam
Quote Reply
The problem is with the Secure Lookup Mod. After installing the mod, did you update the default.pass to add a default email address? If not, then that is your problem.

Also, this problem has been discussed before...try searching this forum more carefully...like "secure mod lookup prob".

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
----------------------

Quote Reply
Eliot, I searched _carefully_ for nearly 2 hours!

This "problem" also occurs with the default database as delivered "out of the box." I really think it's the way sub admin_display writes the record to PASS:

Code:
print PASS "$in{'username'}:$password:$in{'per_view'}:$in{'per_add'}:$in{'per_del'}:$in{'per_mod'}:$in{'per_admin'}\n";

Remember that if a checkbox is not checked, the name/value pair is not returned to the program. So $in{'per_xxx'} would not "be anything" (undef?)

I don't think it's necessarily a problem or a bug, but again, I thought I'd raise the issue to see what others think...

Thanks,

Sam
Quote Reply
Uh...The default.pass file OUT OF THE BOX is differently structured than the one that is CREATED BY THE SECURE LOOKUP MOD!

Default.pass (OUT OF BOX):

Code:
# UserID : Password : View : Add : Del : Mod: Admin
elee:yhdteasndkad:l:1:1:0:0

The Password file created by the Secure Password Lookup looks like the following:

Code:
# UserID : Password : View : Add : Del : Mod: Admin : Email Address
elee:yhdteasndkad:l:1:1:0:0:test@test.com

The problem you are experiencing has been experienced by other DBMAN users when they have installed the Secure Password Lookup. AND a solution was provided in this Forum. That is why I suggested for you to search the Forum more carefully.

Are you a betting person??? Would you like to bet that I can find relevant Threads that deal with the problems associated with the Secure Password Lookup in less than ten minutes??

Wink

Good luck!

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
----------------------

Quote Reply
You're on Eliot! But before you search, understand that the default DBMan WITHOUT ANY MODS exhibits the same problem! If you can find the solution to this already covered in this forum in under ten minutes, I'll buy you a gift certificate at Amazon for $10. Of course, you have the benefit of having been part of this forum for much longer than I have, but I'll take a friendly wager!

As always, thanks for your support! Sam
Quote Reply
"Out of the box" default.pass

Code:
admin:A.f0Kvdiyy8q2:1:1:1:1:1
author:zs047RckAhJH6:1:1:1:1:0
guest:ZX9XTlIfPvdGE:1:0:0:0:0

default.pass after I log on as admin/admin, click the Admin link, select guest, click Inquire, click Update/Create User.

Code:
guest:ZX9XTlIfPvdGE:1::::
Quote Reply
(DBMan w/o any mods in above example)
Quote Reply
No, you are wrong. When you login as one of the default users, the database does not switch to what you have indicated. Some DBMAN users have experienced the problems you have indicated AFTER they have installed the Secure Password Lookup Mod.

Let me ASK you a question...When did you notice this??? (Before you installed all those mods or after??)

I would gander it is the latter.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
----------------------

Quote Reply
I did not notice it until I looked into the .pass file, which was AFTER I installed the mods.

BUT, then I installed a clean database WITH NO MODS (I just did it again second time in one hour to capture the default.pass up above).

I don't get your statement,

Quote:
When you login as one of the default users, the database does not switch to what you have indicated.

I installed DBMan right from the .zip file and followed the steps I outlined above to produce those results.

Thanks, Sam
Quote Reply
Sam - I had also noticed this almost a year ago. However, it didn't cause any problems so I didn't mention it. Also, I had noticed that it was doing this with a clean copy of DBMan (NO mods added) - and it continued even after adding mods - still without causing any problems.

The .pass file out of the box:

Code:
guest:ZX9XTlIfPvdGE:1:0:0:0:0

After anyone logs in:

Code:
guest:ZX9XTlIfPvdGE:1::::

Again, it doesn't cause any problems - but you are correct.

------------------
donm
All those who believe in psychokinesis, please raise my hand.

Quote Reply
Well, the default.pass file I had included all the rest of the 0's for the other permissions.

So, I don't know what files you guys are using.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
----------------------

Quote Reply
I fixed the "problem" by changing the line in &admin_display that prints the record to the .pass file:

Code:
print PASS (
"$in{'username'}:",
"$password:",
($in{'per_view'} | | "0"), ":",
($in{'per_add'} | | "0"), ":",
($in{'per_del'} | | "0"), ":",
($in{'per_mod'} | | "0"), ":",
($in{'per_admin'} | | "0"), "\n" );

Although it isn't causing problems, at least it makes the .pass file more readable.

Eliot, believe us, this happens in v2.04 DBMan with NO MODS. Yes, the default.pass in the ZIP file has zeros, but just try it... Go to Admin - Inquire (guest) - Update/Create User and look at the .pass file.

Happy New Year to all! - Sam