Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Customization :

Neat trick I just stumbled onto with the html.pl file

Quote Reply
Neat trick I just stumbled onto with the html.pl file
Hey all,

I don't know if any of you have posted about this in the past, but since I just got DBMan a couple days ago, it was new to me. Maybe some of you fellow newbies might find a benifit from it. Anyway....

I was changing around the html.pl file to compliment the layout, look, and colors of my website. I found it very hard to try and make all the changes necessary using PICO on the server, so I just popped the .pl file into my web editor so I could make use of all the quick buttons for the code. Anyhow, the auto previewer didn't like this, so everytime I switched between windows in the editor it would complain and make a backup copy of the html.pl file, but rename it to 'some number.htm'. Well, when I was done for the day, I went back in Windows Explorer to delete those backups, but you know how you get that quick-view preview of a file in the left pane of the explorer window when you click on a file, right? Well, I saw that it would take the partial html code and display it as if I was looking at a regular web page. So, I went back a made a copy of my updated html.pl file, changed the extension to .htm, and what-do-ya-know, I could look at all my changes as they would appear when I used the cgi script. I can use this method to check my changes prior to uploading the .pl file to the server and save me lots of time uploading, testing, changing, re-uploading, testing again, and so on.

I just thought I would pass this along to all of you who might want to save a few extra minutes or so. Feel free to email me if I did make myself quite clear here, but please no flame mail.

Andrew

------------------
RULE 1: Life is not fair, deal with it.