Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Customization :

Make DBMan work on CD-ROM

Quote Reply
Make DBMan work on CD-ROM
Is there any way to make DBMan work on a CD-ROM? In other words, I would like to distribute a searchable database on CD-ROM that has the features provided by DBMan. Is there any way to do this, or is there anything available at Gossamar Threads to do this?
Quote Reply
Re: Make DBMan work on CD-ROM In reply to
This one is completely beyond my level of expertise! Smile

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
we are on this way...
Quote Reply
Hi,

I reckon it'd be possible if you had a webserver and Perl installed on the CD, although there could be a problem with the path to Perl...

adam
Quote Reply
Not easily no. The problem is the person who puts the CDRom in needs to have a local webserver running on their computer. You would need to have them install a webserver that's preset up to view pages from the CDRom, as well as to run CGI scripts (in which case you'll also need perl).

So, although it is possible, it wouldn't be straightforward.. =)

Cheers,

Alex
Quote Reply
How about that Perl2exe program Wink
Quote Reply
Hello,
In this ways : Do you know Sambar Serveur for win9x or winNT ? In the setup = install on C:\ :

0] TCP/IP by win9x or winNT
1] Sambar Serveur
2] Perl.exe on perl sambar rep.

And quering the db.cgi on the CDROM ???

Stéphane
Quote Reply
Easy.
You take the database file, dbman has created for you. You open it with a text editor. You substitute the pipe delimiter with tabs. Now you have a tab delimited file.
The next step will cost you.
You buy FilemakerPro Developer edition for $420-500. You open the tab delimited file with Filemaker, voila you have a desktop database.You cusomize as neccessary (It's easier than DBman, esp the layout design) You drag the newly created database over the runtime engine (available only in developer edition) and you have a stand alone royalty free desktop database. You repeat the last step on a different OS and you have a cross platform Mac/Win stand alone royalty free desktop database.
Anyone interested e-mail me with your URL and I'll select one database to demo.