Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Customization :

Limit Record mod + Password Lookup mod - confused!

Quote Reply
Limit Record mod + Password Lookup mod - confused!
Hello,

I'm trying to set up a database to limit record to one per user, and add a record when they create an account.

The Limit Records mod says:

Code:
# One record per user
# Add a record at the time of signup
# To be used *without* the password lookup mod
# To be used with the *default* html.pl file

But, a few lines down the comments say:

Code:
# Install the secure password lookup mod before you install this one.

Which is true? I'm making a terrible mess of things. Crazy

No matter what I try, I can't seem to get a password field to show up when the user tries to sign up and add the record, and of course, I get a password error message when trying to add it.

I have double-checked everything, and started from scratch with a fresh copy of the script -- no other mods.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Lisa
Quote Reply
Re: [Datarella] Limit Record mod + Password Lookup mod - confused! In reply to
The easiest way to have a user only add 1 record is to use the UserID as your keyfield.

You can find more information about how to direct them to the add_form after they sign up by checking the FAQ noted below under the section "Admin/Navigate" for the thread called "Send user to add_form after sign up"

Hope this helps

Unoffical DBMan FAQ

http://creativecomputingweb.com/dbman/index.shtml/
Quote Reply
Re: [LoisC] Limit Record mod + Password Lookup mod - confused! In reply to
Ah, OK -- I think I'm beginning to understand. I had read that FAQ thread before, but now I see that it works differently than I thought. I didn't realize that the user had to get the ID and password and then login and create a record. I thought this all happened at once.

I'm still confused about whether the Limit Records mod and Secure Password Lookup mods work together -- the two comments in the Limit Records mod (see above) seem to be contradictory.
Quote Reply
Re: [Datarella] Limit Record mod + Password Lookup mod - confused! In reply to
Yes, the two mods do work together .. but in order to use both you have to follow the sequence of installing each mod so it works correctly. And then following the instructions which pertain to whether you are using it with or without the secure password lookup.

Hope that makes sense.

Unoffical DBMan FAQ

http://creativecomputingweb.com/dbman/index.shtml/
Quote Reply
Re: [LoisC] Limit Record mod + Password Lookup mod - confused! In reply to
Thanks, I'll give it a try!