Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Customization :

I think I'm back

Quote Reply
I think I'm back
I know I've been away for a long time. I won't go into the details of why I was gone, but I felt it was a good reason.

I'm here to answer your questions if I can. Understand that I haven't dealt with DBMan for several months, so I may be a bit rusty. And please don't inundate me with requests for mods.

I'm going to try to encourage folks to write their own mods. If you're having problems with a specific part of your mod, I'll be happy to give you some code snippets -- assuming I haven't forgotten everything -- to get you on the right track.

I'm really going to have to limit my time on the forum each day. I'll do what I can to help, though.

I'd also like to be sure that the discussion here is at least civil -- friendly would be even nicer. We're all in this together, folks. Let's be good to each other.

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
Re: I think I'm back In reply to
I'll be your first taker Smile

Please refer back to this html page

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/scripts/forum/resources/Forum12/HTML/002372.html
Quote Reply
JPDeni - Great to see you back !!! :-)))))

I have thought of you often - your absence has forced me to learn Perl - I have even written a few scripts myself !

again it's great to see your nick here again !
-----------

donm
Quote Reply
Hey Don! Glad you've learned some Perl. I guess I was employing the "sink or swim" teaching techinque. Wink

Ryan, I'll post a response within your topic.

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
Hey JPDeni,

Good to see that you're back.

Smile

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
Former Handle: Eliot
* Check Resource Center
Quote Reply
No question inundation from me, but wow, welcome back! Smile

But as long as I've got your attention... I recently posted you unsecured password lookup mod, as referenced here:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...m12/HTML/002183.html

Please let me know if you have any objections to that.

Dan
Quote Reply
Hi Carol, really pleased to see that you've returned to the GS forums. I've been a long time lurker in here - have licensed dbman sql, just not the skill sets to use it - - - yet!

Your presence has been sorely missed and it's good to see that you've returned. Hope all is going well for you.

------------------
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Karen

Quote Reply
Hi Elliot. Nice to see you.

Don, no problem about posting the mod. I agree that the way you did is was the appropriate way. What a nightmare to try to put it on the forum!

Has anyone had any problems with it that they have mentioned? I can't remember why I took it off my site. Maybe I should take a look at it again. Smile

Hello, Karen. Nice to meet you. I don't know much about DBMan-SQL, but if you need any help with the html.pl file, that shouldn't be a problem. (The file's the same in both versions.) I just don't know enough SQL to be able to futz with the code in the db.cgi file.

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply

Quote:
Don, no problem about posting the mod. I agree that the way you did is was the appropriate way. What a nightmare to try to put it on the forum!

Has anyone had any problems with it that they have mentioned?
Don's the other guy that posted in this thread. Wink

I haven't heard of any problems with it, although I primarily follow the Links forums and haven't done much with DBMan other than the past month. The unsecured password lookup mod was the first thing I added when I tried out DBMan last April, and I'm still using it!

Dan
Quote Reply
Wow!!!,
Great to see you back...
We'll kind-a-worried her in Holland.

All the best and keep everything under control....

------
Mart
Quote Reply

Quote:
I can't remember why I took it off my site.

JPDeni,

I believe the reason that you took the Mod off your site was that it was not secure since the passwords are stored in plain text. I remember you speaking of clients who ran into many problems in terms of security. But it seems that some people need to have the lookup option, but want to have the password stored in plain text, and not have new passwords auto-generated every time users lookup their passwords.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
Former Handle: Eliot
* Check Resource Center
Quote Reply
Carol:

Welcome back !!

I'm sure with your return will also be the return of a friendly atmosphere within the forum Smile

Hopefully people will accept your guidance for what can be found within old threads and not be demanding of your time to re-create what is already within the old threads Smile

Quote Reply
Sorry, Dan. I was reading quickly. Smile

Thanks, Eliot. I remembered that just as I was going to sleep last night. Smile

Yes, it is a *MAJOR* problem if you want any security in your database at all. Many servers allow access to all files to everyone on the server. IOW, if I wanted to read the files of someone else who has an account at my ISP, I'd just have to use my FTP program and I have full access. It's really not secure. However, as long as people understand the risks, they are welcome to use the script.

------------------
JPD

[This message has been edited by JPDeni (edited March 18, 2000).]
Quote Reply
JPD, Great to see you back.
Like every one else I to was worried by your absence.
In a way, you leaving the forum did a lot of us a lot of good. It forced us to actually learn some perl, instead of just relying on you, and others like Eliot, who havn't a great deal of time, to write our projects for us. But it's realy realy good to see you back.

Bob
Quote Reply
I got to take this one back to the top...

JPD...A thousand welcomes...it's GREAT to have you back.
Quote Reply
Thanks everyone for all the nice welcomes. It is good to be here.

I'll admit I have an ulterior motive. I'm starting a new DBMan project myself and I may need to ask for some advice from some of you. Even if I don't, it helps to get my juice flowing by working on other things at the same time.

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
OK Carol..."I'm starting a new DBMan project myself" is more than a tease.....give us a few little hints....come on...we won't tell.. Smile Rob
Quote Reply
 Wink )

Give me some time and I'll let you know what I can when the time comes. Smile

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
Hi JPD,
I haven't posted a lot here, but I use DBMan a lot on my web site, including this forum, and I'm glad to have you back too.
Quote Reply
I was sitting here a few minutes ago, thinking of something that had nothing to do with DBMan and suddenly I remembered some of the nice things folks said to me in this thread that I didn't acknowledge. I'm sorry for that.

A big thank you to all of you. And a special one for Mart. I was very deeply touched that you were worried about me.

Again, I'm sorry for not having expressed my appreciation before.

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
OMG I am in total shock... as I'm sure most all of us here are. Carol we MISSED you girl, it is so nice too see you're back.

I almost did a back flip off the couch... not really I'm to old. HAH! I did wake up the cats though, with my dancing around shouting "I can't believe it Carols back!" Smile

I can see it now you are going to need a second ISP to handle all the JPDeni I need help requests.

I'm so bad, it's all I can do to hold myself back from asking a question now. Isn't that a bitch. I promise to go easy on ya as long as I can. Wink

Oh what a refreshing day this is!

------------------
Larry "NgtCrwlr" Mingus
www.makeitsimple.com
Quote Reply
My goodness, Larry! Wink ).

Yep. I'm back. I just couldn't stay away forever.

I'm bracing for the onslaught. Smile

(Now go and scratch those kitties and give them extra goodies to make up for waking them up. Smile )

------------------
JPD