Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Customization :

I messed up my database

Quote Reply
I messed up my database
In doing some testing with some mods, I edited my database by hand to remove some fields. I've done this before with no problems as I have changed the database layout. I was using the vi editor on a unix host.

Now may database is all messed up. The cfg file has the correct names/number of fields and they match up with what's in the db. I think the problem may be the last field which is the key field. Is there supposed to be a CR and LF at the end of a record or just a CR or just a LF or what? Or a new line character?

What happens is that I will go to delete a record, say record 14, and I get an error:

Record(s) Not Deleted

The records with the following keys were not found in the database: '14'

But it's really there. If I go to edit the record and I search for it, it brings up a record but it's not record 14.

It's almost as though the database is indexed and there's a seperate index file somewhere. Either that or I made an error in manually editing the database.

I'm wondering if it would be wise to zero out the database and count file and re-enter all 14 records again???

Also, if a count file contains a two digit number, the size of the file is 2 bytes. If I edit the file manually the size of the file changes to 3 bytes. I'm wondering if this problem is caused by unprintable characters in the db or count file?
Quote Reply
Re: [acravens] I messed up my database In reply to
I figured it out... sorry...

When I deleted one of the fields, I removed it from the cfg file but I forgot to renumber remaining fields. All is working.