Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Customization :

Export to Excel Mod

Quote Reply
Export to Excel Mod
Hi everyone,

I just tried installing the Export to Excel Mod, but I'm having some troubles. The button shows up in the right place, I click on it and it says "Your Export File has been created!
Click here to retrieve it." Like it should... but the link to the file is "http://www.ironleaf.com/cgi-bin/salescontacts/csv/.csv". Notice there is no file name, just an extension. I see in the code that it uses the record ID to create the uid to create the file name - which shouldn't be a problem. The only problem I can think of is that I don't actually log in to the database. It's in a password protected directory, so when I log in to the directory, that logs me into the database at the same time. Would this make a difference?

It's on an NT server, and I copied the mod text EXACTLY, so I'm not certain it's a coding error...

I can save it to my desktop as [1].csv, but when I try to open it, Excel says "SYLK: file format is not valid" Help! I'm so confused!! Smile
Thanks in advance

Quote Reply
Re: Export to Excel Mod In reply to
I am not using this Mod...yet. But I think that Chris, donm, or one of the other DBMAN users who is using this Mod can help you.

I know this problem was previously identified and solved in another Thread in this forum.

Try using the Forum's search engine.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
http://www.anthrotech.com
Be sure to visit the Resource Center for FAQ's, Modifications and Extra Goodies!!
----------------------

Quote Reply
redball,

I had a thread at http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...m12/HTML/001520.html , which may or may not help.

Simply put when I changed my first field from "ID" to something else, "AlumniID" for my purposes, the script then worked.

Apparently Excel gets confused (SYLK error) with the simple "ID". Try renaming, see if that works.

JR
Quote Reply
The mod does use the login id to create a temporary filename for the csv file.
That is why it is showing up blank.

You can use whatever you want - just change the lines
Code:
# Open temporary csv file
my ($csvfilename) = "$db_uid" . ".csv";

Hope that helps.
Quote Reply
Thanks guys - both your replies helped! I changed ID to ContactID, and that got the file to open without the error, but each record was one really long field. Then I changed the file name from the userid to just TEMP, for some reason everything plops into it's own cell now! It works great!

Thanks again!

[This message has been edited by redball (edited January 24, 2000).]
Quote Reply
What are you using for a delimiter?

Can you view the file via a text editor? Do you have a link that I can look at the output file?
Quote Reply
Re: [redball] Export to Excel Mod In reply to
When you changed 'ID' to 'ContactID' in dbman in the default.cfg file, where else did you change it? I have also changed it in the html.pl file at sub html_record_form { and sub html_record { but evidently there are additional changes to be made.