Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Customization :

DBMan License Question

Quote Reply
DBMan License Question
Hey all,

I'm planning to buy a DBMan License (once I get it working and get the cash together)...and was wondering something...

I remember asking awhile ago what a license granted you...and I think it was Alex who told me that one license would allow me to use the script as many times as I liked, as long it was all on the same "site"...like my baseball site, www.warningtrack.net...I'd like to confirm this again to make sure...

...also, lets say I use it on my baseball site and eventually decide to take it down...if I am not longer making use of it on that site can I just start using it on another site with the license? As In I maybe start a new site and only use it on that site then? It'd still only be using once license for one site...

Let me know! Smile

Chris

P.S. Question for JPDeni/Eliot/Any other time-generous expert!: I want people who signup for a login username and password to also have to join our mailing list..is there anyway to do this? I'd obviously need the email address emailed to me...I know the path to sendmail, just not sure how to go about this.
Quote Reply
Re: DBMan License Question In reply to
I believe leisurelee answered your mailing list question...and you would need to use the Mass Mailer or Web Mailer Mods, which are located in the Resource Center (first place to check for Mod ideas before posting questions in the forums).

With regards to the license, yes, you can use the DBMAN in another site when your current site goes down. It is a per site licence agreement (includes domains in a virtual server), NOT per physical server. Meaning that if you have multiple domains/sites in a dedicated server, you would have to purchase additional licenses for each domain/site.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
Former Handle: Eliot
Anthro TECH, L.L.C
anthrotech.com
* Check Resource Center
* Thinking out of the box (codes) is not only fun, but effective.

Quote Reply
I belive the license is for one site .. so I don't think it would be a problem if you changed sites, but you could always check with Alex to be sure. Or to register the new site URL with him for his records.

For the mailing list, I found this old thread which was very interesting.

There are other mods used, but you might want to check this out.

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/scripts/forum/resources/Forum5/HTML/000210.html

and also with that goes:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/scripts/forum/resources/Forum5/HTML/000322.html

the later does use javascript, but I think it has an alternative which is what Alex uses at the bottom of the forum threads.

Let us know how it works out for you Smile
Quote Reply
Eliot,

Yes I've seen that mod before but I was under the impression is worked differently than how I wanted...no matter, though.

Chris
Quote Reply
Chris, what exactly do you want with the mailing list? There are a number of ways a mailing list can be set up.

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
Carol,

I was trying for something that changes the page that allows you to create a new account. On that page would be the two deefault forms for the ID and password the user wants, but in addition there would be a couple of other forms...like name and email...the script would process the user ID and password and create them, and the contents of the Name and Email fields would be emailed to a specified address...

...I wanted to try something like this so that anyone who wanted to signup for a new account would be required to join our mailing list...I already have a mailing list outside of DBMan, which is why I don't think the Web Mailer mod would be right for the purpose.

Chris
Quote Reply
Is this a "listserv" type mailing list? Or is it from someplace like "onelist" or "e-groups"? (That makes a huge difference.)

There's no reason that you couldn't do this, especially if it is a "listserv" type mailing list. I guess even the "e-groups" mailing lists have a mail-in subscription.

What I need from you is the how people sign up for the mailing list in general. Then I can give you the code for DBMan to sign them up.

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
Carol,

You nailed it, I use ONEList...I might not forever, but I do use it. Smile

There are a few ways, I guess the simplest would be to email warningtrack-subscribe@egroups.com.

Chris
Quote Reply
Okay. Then all you need is the email address on the signup form. If you have installed the secure password lookup mod, it's already there. If not, you'll need to add a field to sub html_signup_form:

Code:
<tr><td><b>Email Address:</b></FONT></td>
<td><input type="text" name="email" value="$in{'email'}"></td></tr>

Also, if you are not using the secure password lookup mod, you'll need to add the following to sub signup in db.cgi:

Code:
unless ($in{'email'} =~ /.+\@.+\..+/) {
$message = "Invalid email address format: '$in{'email'}'.";
}

Whether you are using the mod or not, add the following to sub signup, just before

&html_signup_success;

Code:
open (MAIL, "$mailprog") or &cgierr("Can't start mail program");
print MAIL "To: warningtrack-subscribe@egroups.com\n";
print MAIL "From: $in{'email'}\n";
close MAIL;

I think that should work. It says to send a blank message.

It is possible that there may be some anti-spam measures on your server which will prevent your sending mail from another IP. In that case, you'll have to subscribe people yourself.

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
I have just added the code you suggested above and it works great. Note that you have to escape the @ though!

Only thing is I want to give the users a choice whether to join or not.

Ive added:
Code:
<input type="checkbox" value="1" name="subscribe" checked> Yes
to the signup form

then I will need something like
Code:
if ($in{subscribe})
{
open (MAIL, "$mailprog") or &cgierr("Can't start mail program");
print MAIL "To: t-e-subscribe\@onelist.com\n";
print MAIL "From: $in{'email'}\n";
close MAIL;
print qq|
<font size="-1">As requested, you are also a member of our Member's Group. Check your email for details!
</font>|;
}
for the signup_success form. How can I code the if statement though? At the moment I get an email whether the checkbox is ticked or not. Obviously my syntax is rubbish!

Cheers!

------------------
Ben

-------------------------
http:/www.t-e.co.uk

[This message has been edited by benseb (edited April 27, 2000).]
Quote Reply
Try changing:

if ($in{subscribe})

to something like this:

if ($in{'subscribe'} eq "Yes") {