Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Customization :

Choose from select field then dynamically create/update next select field

Quote Reply
Choose from select field then dynamically create/update next select field
Hello everyone. I have been trying to use DBMan for an auto dealer website. It has been great so far, but the dealership owner wants a more advanced search function.

What I want to do is have a dropdown select list with the manufacturers listed.... Ford, Cheverolet, Nissan, etc. Once the user selects the appropriate manfacturer, the script would then automatically pull from the "model" field and create a dropdown select field with only models related to the manufacturer chosen.

For example, if the user chose "Ford" ...then the model dropdown select field would update to show only "Ford Models"..ie. F150 Truck, Taurus, Fusion, etc.

I hope that makes sense.
If anyone can give me ANY insight into how I can accomplish this, I would be so grateful. I have searched all over these forums for days and have tried multiple things to try and get some like that to work, but so far, no luck.
ALSO, one more IMPORTANT thing. The database that I'm using with this is not the standard DBMan database. This client uses a third party company to take pictures of thier inventory and then upload that info to a website. I have to take the CSV file from that third party company and then have DBman read and work off of that.
Quote Reply
Re: [joeglenn] Choose from select field then dynamically create/update next select field In reply to
You may want to explore using JavaScript or incorporating Ajax somehow...

There is a javascript (http://javascript.internet.com - look under forms) that changes pull downs dynaically based on selection of a value and that *may* work depending on how big your list of makes & models.
Some are more complex than others so be sure and browse thru several examples.

I think that may be your best solution. The other option would be to use Ajax if you wanted it to be dynamic (ie user doesn't have to click "submit" after selecting "Ford").

(I read thru Ajax for Dummies a while back and found it user-friendly and helpful enough to be able to adapt it some dbman applications.)
Quote Reply
Re: [Watts] Choose from select field then dynamically create/update next select field In reply to
Thanks Watts. I'll give that link a look. If anyone else has any suggestions, please post them. Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [joeglenn] Choose from select field then dynamically create/update next select field In reply to
I think Watts is right. I spent a lot of time looking into something like this and ended up using javascript.