Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Customization :

Changing db_key to User ID

Quote Reply
Changing db_key to User ID
Hi. I have a problem. I am working on a database that already has over 100 users. But now I have found that I should have made the userid the db_key. Currently the db_key is a number and I have db_key_track turned on. The reason I want to change the key to the userid is because I want to limit users to one record per account. I can not find any posts that explains how to do this unless the db_key is the userid. If I do change it, will it corrupt by database? If so, how can I do it safely? Or, even better, how can I limit users to one record without changing the db_key to the userid?
Quote Reply
Re: Changing db_key to User ID In reply to
One suggestion is to change the following codes in the sub add_record routine in the db.cgi file:

Code:
if ($counter++ > 50);

to the following:

Code:
if ($counter++ = 1);

Don't gaurantee this will work...but you can give it a shot.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
Former Handle: Eliot
* Check Resource Center
* Thinking out of the box (codes) is not only fun, but effective.
Quote Reply
hmm, I hope I don't have users with more than one, but since there is nothing stopping them, you never know. Any quick way to check for that?
Quote Reply
Do you have users who have more than one record in the database? If not, you can just change the value of $db_key in your .cfg file and set $db_key_track to 0.

If there are users who have more than one record in the database, you'll need to go through and delete those extra records first.

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
I don't know how quick it would be. The only thing I can think of would be to search for each user. That would take some time.

Or you could do a "List All" and set the sb= to the number of your userid field. Then you could scroll through the records and see if there was anyone with duplicate records.

------------------
JPD