Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Customization :

Can someone post the "Boolean Mod" please...

Quote Reply
Can someone post the "Boolean Mod" please...
Can someone please post the Boolean Mod as the link is broken in the resources section.

Quote Reply
Re: Can someone post the "Boolean Mod" please... In reply to
Surely someone must have a copy of the boolean mod they can post for me?

Quote Reply
I have also been waiting for the resources link to work for the past 2 months!! Let me know if you get anything...

Best regards, Brian

Quote Reply
Hi Brian,

I sent a "private message" off to Alex so hopefully he goes and fixes it..

I'll send you a message/email if he does get round to fixing it...

Cheers

Philip

Quote Reply
Hi guys, it isn't a matter of Alex "fixing" the link - the site owner (author of Boolean Mod) has removed the file. The reference to Boolean Mod in the resource center probably needs to be removed under the circumstance.

Since the author has removed the file, it is not appropriate for someone to "post" the file, likely why there have been no takers on the threads requesting a copy of the file.

My suggestion would be, search in DBMAN Customization and get back to the original threads when the mod was being created. The thread started back in March I believe. When you have located the start of the original thread, view the list of posts made in that thread. Look for the LATEST DATE the thread was responded to.

Once you have that date, use the page links at the bottom of the main DBMan Customization forum page and go thru the pages until you get to the date of that last message. Access the thread from that point and you will then be reviewing the entire thread as it was originally posted.

Begin implementing the changes you need on your files using the info in the thread - when you reach a problem in implementing the mod, post a reply on the original thread - and identify where you are having the problem. Or post a new thread with your problem explained and provide a link to the original thread as a courtesy to anyone who may attempt to help.

Sorry guys but helping means you are doing the grunt work - it just isn't fair that help requests are made and the helper is expected to do the grunt work.

Quote Reply
Thanks for your response. The only thread that I've come across in my searches is this
one: http://www.gossamer-threads.com/perl/forum/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=DBCust&Number=13088&page=&view=&sb=&vc=1
but I'm completely lost with it. Where do you specify what fields you want to be included?

I'm not even sure whether I need to use the boolean mod. Can you please take a look at my thread
"One little thing... hidden fields on search page" (http://www.gossamer-threads.com/perl/forum/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=DBCust&Number=111654&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5) and give me some clues for how I can go about doing it? With or
without the boolean mod?

Why was such a useful mod removed anyway or shouldn't I ask?

Quote Reply
Hi Philip, I'm not privvey to knowing why the author has removed the instructions from their site. It would be a suspicion the file has been removed for the same reason Anthro removed his mods. Supporting even minor mods is overwhelming especially when users do not make full use of the tools and resources for looking up questions/answers which are repeatedly asked each time someone goes to use the mod.

On serching for the Boolean Mod, I used the following search criteria.
Forum to Search >> DBMan Customization
Words to search for >> leisurelee
--- used leisurelee because it has been noted over and over that leisurelee was the author.
Search Options >> By Username
Date Range >> Newer than 1 year
Number of results to show per page >> 300
>>>> The thread you posted is the discussion on the mod. Now you can do searches for boolean topics after mid April to see threads discussing problems/questions in using the mod.

This brought up the boolean thread mod discussion. As indicated earlier in this thread, the discussion is not in order if you access this way. Review the threads and locate the most recent date in the thread. Make a note of the date then return to the DBMan Customization forum main page and use the page links at the bottom of the forum to scroll thru to that last post. You'll then be able to properly view the discussion.

Philip, please know, when I do not reply on a thread, it is because I do not have an answer to the question being asked. Myself, I'm not a programmer - I am a visually oriented person and "read" the code very well, I do not write the code.

When someone posts and has a problem, oftentimes I am able to read through their files and spot a problem and/or use a local installation of perl to check for syntax errors. I troubleshoot - not write. <smile> Nearly always you'll see me reply with a request to post the files for that very reason.

Good luck on your mods.

Quote Reply
Hi Karen,

Ok. I thought it might be something like that.

Thanks. Sorry if I seem deperate but I'm so close to finishing off my database and this
one thing is holding me back Frown. Hopefully someone who come across my thread soon and help me solve it. Smile

I'm having a look through leisurelee's posts now.

Cheers

Quote Reply
The only thread I came across by entering in the information you suggested was the same one as before. Frown

I think my only option is to hope someone comes along soon and helps me solve

Quote Reply
Can you please keep me informed Philip?

I am happy to help out, but at the moment I am not even sure I require the mod - I want to take a look at what it does/does not do...

(Karen) Surely posting a mod does not mean it has to be supported by the writer? Can it not be posted and users who have sucessfully implemented it can then pass on comments - I thought that was how the forum works already with JPD et al chipping in when necessary??

Best regards, Brian

Best regatds, Brian

Quote Reply
Sorry Brian... Completely forgot to be honest... Was trying to get my last problem sorted... I'll send you an email if I find out anything else...

Quote Reply
Brian, you're right in the aspect that an author doesn't "have" to support a particular mod however, oftentimes - especially when a mod is first released - the author is the only person who fully understands it. It takes time before other users - especially any who return back to the forums to offer help, gain an understanding of the mod.

If you've spent any length of time at all in the forums, you'd know JPD has done FAR MORE than "chipping in when necessary" She has written and supported most mods available for these scripts. I sure wouldn't want to speculate a guess on how many fully customized databases are running out there based solely on JPD's efforts here in the forums.

I don't know why leisurelee removed the file. Too bad Lee isn't around lately to offer some insight on this.

later!

Quote Reply
I didn't mean to imply JPD 'merely' chipped in. I have been on the forum for a couple of years and I know what a great asset she is. Just that its a nice circle Gossamer have created - they provide great support and I certainly appreciate it, to the extent that if I can help someone else in the forum I will do. Therefore allowing JPD et al to have a small 'break' from every question!

Best regards, brian

Quote Reply
Actually, Lee is around. However I haven't worked on DBMan in months. As you might have known, I was working on it as a project for HP. They chose to go with some other pathetic excuse of a database program which didn't have half the abilities as DBMan, so it was scrapped. I went home one day, and when I came back the server I was using was gone. Sorry to be inconveniently abcent.

--Lee

Quote Reply
Hi Lee, good to see you back! As you may have noticed, there's been tremendous interest in the boolean mod, I wasn't sure from reading the posts whether you had actually gotten the mod to work.

If you have been able to get it working, many others would be interested in implementing the mod. If you haven't been able to get it working, perhaps a recap of where you're at on the mod and renewed interest in the mod, would be enogh to figure out remaining obstacles.

<<edit>> Just saw your new post in the forum - Thanks Lee<</edit>>

Karen

Quote Reply
I don't get it, Lee. I can appreciate that your company blew up the server
where you had it stored. But is this to say that you had no other copies of
this mod, and at the same time everybody who had taken a copy previously
lost theirs as well, and further, is this to say Alex and company didn't keep
a copy either?

So ... a useful piece of code has vanished into the big bit bucket in the sky?

Very discouraging.

SamG in Philly
Quote Reply
I grabbed a copy from Lee's site before it went down. I have posted it to my site.
you can get it here:
http://totallyfreeads.com/boolean.html
The mod still lives on this forum at:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...m12/HTML/002425.html
although Lees is easier to understand.

Bob
http://totallyfreeads.com

Quote Reply
Perhaps you should also include a credit for leisurelee on
http://totallyfreeads.com/boolean.html as he did present this mod to the forum and was a major contributor in making this mod available.

It would also be very useful to present the mod as a plain .txt file so that it can easily be copied or saved. In the current format it is necessary to copy and paste to get the page contents.

Just me humble opinion Smile

Unoffical DBMan FAQ
http://webmagic.hypermart.net/dbman/
Quote Reply
No I'm not using the mod, this is the origional Boolean Mod from leisurelees site. I just uploaded it to my site so every one could get a copy of it.
The mod from leisurelees site was html.

Bob
http://totallyfreeads.com