Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Customization :

Can I store UserID field after modification (not add)

Quote Reply
Can I store UserID field after modification (not add)
Question from a newbie so bear with me Smile
I have the USer ID blank right now. I would like to enable users to be able to add and modify their own records but also make available for them (through a modified form I'm creating) to have global access to modifying certain fields.

Question is does DBMAN store the userID record and make them the owner for the record? I don't need to keep a log history of who's modified a record (that would be nice), just the last person to edit the record.

Related question. If I use the FileUpload (for pictures) modification, can I store the userID in a field? (They did not add the record, just uploaded the photo which (the name and URL)is stored in a field.

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Can I store UserID field after modification (not add) In reply to
I don't think DBMan will do what you want. Either users own records or they don't.

I don't think my file-upload mod will do what you want, either.

But maybe you could try explaining it again and I'll be able to understand.

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
Sorry for the confusing explanation. LEt me try again.

I have a LASerdisc Database of about 12000 records. I'll have it modified so other people in the community can upload scans of the jackets/covers of pictures they own. Or They may modify the field called "Special Features" that they know this particular LD record has.

Both fields right now are empty for all records. UserID (owner) is also empty. I would like to be able to store the user name/email address of the person copntributing to the database (maybe giving credit in another form). That would also form as a check or feedback from other users that may have further questions.

Thanks.
Quote Reply
I'm not sure DBMan can do this.

For one thing, the file-upload mod only allows one upload per record. Did you want people to be able to upload more than one file per record?

It would be possible (maybe) to imbed the userid and the user's email address into your "Special Features" field. That is the only way I can think of to do what you want, unless you knew ahead of time the maximum number of entries that would be in each record.

------------------
JPD