Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Customization :

Calculating database size

Quote Reply
Calculating database size
Can anyone advise how to calculate how many records I can get into a 1mb dtatabase - based on the average number of characters of data held in each record. Is it as simple as 1 byte per character?

TIA!
Alan
Quote Reply
Re: Calculating database size In reply to
Actually you'd want to base it on the average filesize used per record. Easiest way is to take your current database and divide its size by the number of records.

For example, my database is 87KB, and I have 166 records. So, my average record size is roughly 524 bytes (about 1/2K).

Now, take the rough physical size of a meg, in bytes, and divide by the average record byte size. (1,024,000 / 524). This calculates the estimated number of records I can have in a 1MB file: 1,954 records.

Of course, the actual number will be different, because not all of my records are 524 bytes. But this gives you a good estimate. Smile

--Lee
Quote Reply
Lee,

Excellent - thanks! That's what I needed to know. I'm trying to figure out if DBman will be able to cope with the job I have in mind for it.

Alan
Quote Reply
If not, you might want to consider snagging the SQL version of DBMan. Contact Alex, the author, for details on getting it. The SQL version can handle systems that exceed beyond the 1Meg filesize.