Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Customization :

Auto create username+password from add record...

Quote Reply
Auto create username+password from add record...
We want to use Dbman to process user questions/problems. When we enter their question into the database, is it possible to automaticly create a userid + password from a Username and ID field? Wh want Users to log on from the internet and check the status of their question (view only). What mod's need to be made?

ID = password
Username = Username

If i say JPDeni three times, is a miracle soon to follow? Hope so....

Peter
Quote Reply
Re: Auto create username+password from add record... In reply to
Writing to two databases simultaneously is possible, however, it will entail a lot of code hacking to make it work.

Also,

Quote:
To make it more difficult, i'm using the encypted password feature... and the mod to use the DB behind .htaccess secured directories.

This has been discussed before and no real solution has been found.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
* Check Resource Center

Quote Reply
Peter,

If I understand you correctly, you want to create a login account in the .pass file from the .db file, right?

If so, this could be done with some tweaking of the auth.pl file and also the signup routines in db.cgi.

It will not be very easy to do, but I think it would be possible to copy the userid and password fields from the .db file into the .pass file, so, people can review answers to questions.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
* Check Resource Center

Quote Reply
Hi AnthroRules,
I was thinking more along the line of creating/adding a new record which automaticly adds these fields to .pass and to .db at the same time. So write the data to the .db and write the userid and password (username and ID) to the .pass. This should be easier then moving them from the .db to the .pass file.

Can this be done?

To make it more difficult, i'm using the encypted password feature... and the mod to use the DB behind .htaccess secured directories.

Peter van den Steen.

BTW, sorry for the double post.
Quote Reply
Sorry for the late reply, but i have been working on a problem that some other users have as well. The options to print a selection to a seperate HTML lay-out, from the view_success or add_success page. I have it working now. This still leaves me this problem. I can not seem to get it working. I only have de .db, .log, .count and .pass files in a different dir. and protected by a .htaccess.

If i can break in to the routine that registeres new users, i should be able to get this to work as well. I was thinking about the following:

If a new record is added, could it be possible that submit button is given two executions. I mean can it add the record and use the two fields to make the user+password? If so, how can i transfer the neccesary fields (name and ID) to the add user fields? I can make an automatic execution from a javascript to execute the add command in the form of a URL with options or to a sub, that is no problem.

I hope i'm making sense? Could someone please advice.

Peter