Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Customization :

Allowing Users to register & add partial listings

Quote Reply
Allowing Users to register & add partial listings
Hi,
I am looking to allow users to register for a username and password. I need a couple of things (please).

1) When a user signs up I need to know where I specify what they have to fill out to get a username... I need their name, email address, username, pwd.

2) Then they should be returned to a thank you page, where I can put a hyperlink so they can then login to the DB.

3) Then, when they get into the DB, they can only add items, but I want them to only be able to add items to 1 category. I will have about 5 or more categories, but I only want them to be able to an item and they cannot delete or touch ANYONE else's items, but theirs... (I would like to even make it an option if they can modify theirs, I dont know if it is necesarry or not).

4) If a user forgets their password, is there a form they can lookup for their email address and it emails it to them.

THANKS.
Michele
Quote Reply
Re: Allowing Users to register & add partial listings In reply to
1) You really shouldn't have them enter any more data into the password file than is necessary for logging in. If you're using the password lookup mod, that would include the user's email address, but not the name -- unless by "name" you mean "username."

You might try checking out the password lookup mod at.

2) After signup, the user is taken directly to a page where they can enter their username and password. You could, I guess, change sub html_signup_success to just say "Thank you and here's the link to the login page," but that would require an extra click by the user.

3) This will take a little bit of coding, but it can be done. The only thing is that they would not be able to modify the category after they have added a record. Would that be all right?

If so, I would need the name of your userid field, your key field (they must be different fields) and the category field. Please be sure that you keep the same spelling and case of the fields, since I'll need to use them in the code I give you.

As for modifying only their own records, this is a setting in the .cfg file
[b]$auth_modify_own=1;[/b]

4) See the link in 1) for password lookup. It does not send the user's password, but rather creates a new password for the user. I know from experience that having unencrypted passwords on one's site is a bad idea.

------------------
JPD