Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Customization :

Administration Interface

Quote Reply
Administration Interface
Is it possible to have an administration interface that can add new users to multiple databases? I have many databases that cannot all use the same pass file because the users need different permissions in each database. Is it possible to create some kind of new admin interface that can add new users to all the databases at once with the correct permissions in each database? For each new user I also have to create a directory and copy some files to that directory manually, could the script perform this too?
Quote Reply
Re: Administration Interface In reply to
It could. I'd have to think about it before I'd would even be able to begin scripting it, though.

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
That's ok. I'm just getting very tired of creating the same user in 5 databases. In addition, I forgot, one of the files that is copied to the directory on user creation is a .htaccess file and the user name needs to be added to the access line. Can this be done also?
Quote Reply
I don't know how to use .htaccess. Possibly someone else would have an idea.

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
Hmm, another question. In one of the databases I have two fields, one for storing the DB user name and one for the password, among other fields, that helps me keep track of the information in the pass files. Is it possible that when a new record was entered a script would create the users and passwords in all five databases? Then also be able to modify all five pass files from this interface also?
Quote Reply
It is a very bad idea to include passwords in the database itself. I don't know if you read my tale of woe a couple of weeks ago about my client whose database was hacked into. His experience was the sole reason I created the secure password lookup mod. Passwords should never be stored in their unencrypted form.

Again, though, writing to 5 databases at a time is a very big project that I would have to think about quite a bit before even starting to write code.

------------------
JPD