Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Customization :

Adding to child db with data from parent

Quote Reply
Adding to child db with data from parent
I am developing a bookstore db for a church.I want to add book reviews using JPDeni's relational mod. It will display reviews entered in the reviews database on the book side, switch back and forth between.

What I want to, however, is add the link from the parent (one) database to the child (many) database so the reader can add their comments, without re-entering the ISBN number or other information from the one database. I can't seem to find anything here about adding records in the many database.

Could somebody help me get started with this?

Thanks,

Bob

Quote Reply
Re: Adding to child db with data from parent In reply to
Unfortunately, the current Relational Mod only supports 1->1
connections. It does not support 1->M connections.

Sorry.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Re: Adding to child db with data from parent In reply to
I must be using a different version of relational. I used JPDeni's file, made the modifications in my dbman, and it lists all of the records in the child related to the record in the parent.

That is fine. But, what I need to do next is to add records in the child database that are automatically linked to the parent record.

Most of my database work has been on desktop apps, where this is trivial. This is my first relational dbman implementation. Maybe I am missing something, but I don't seem to be able to pass the parent's key value to the child record I am trying to create.

This should be easy, just seem stuck at the moment.

Appreciate the help. And happy holidays.