Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Customization :

Adding a discussion

Quote Reply
Adding a discussion
Any ideas of how to integrate a discussion board with dbman? I'm looking at having a link with each record say "Discuss this item" that will be automatically be added to each addition.
Quote Reply
Re: Adding a discussion In reply to
That's a major question.

I have toyed with the idea of converting DBMan into a discussion forum, but the details are far from being worked out. I think Alex told me once that he had thought about it too, but it's not going to be available in the foreseeable future.

You can use another forum script, but the problem is logging in. Coordinating user login between DBMan and any forum script is going to be tough.

The one that looked the most promising was Ultraboard. I was able to follow the login and validation procedure and it might be possible to adapt DBMan to create the files needed so that users would not have to log in a second time for the forum.

That would be the first project to tackle. Going straight to a topic would be more difficult (probably) and I wouldn't like to even think about it until I got the login problem worked out.

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
What if the forum did not need the user to login?
Quote Reply
Then it might be possible.

You would have to look at the links to the topics in the forum to see what kind of syntax is necessary to access the topic. See what kind of information you need to have in the database.

For example, the link to this thread is

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/scripts/forum/resources/Forum12/HTML/002541.html

My guess is that the DBMan discussion forum is "Forum 12" and the page for the thread is "002541.html." If you were using UBB as your forum script, you would have to have fields (or some way of passing the information) for both the forum number and the page -- in each record.

When you printed out the link to the discussion, you would use

Code:
print qq|
<a href="http://www.gossamer-threads.com/scripts/forum/resources/
$rec{'Forum'}/HTML/$rec{'Thread'}">Discuss this item</a>
|;

All of it would depend on the forum script you're using.

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
The discussion script i will want to use with dbman is straight forward; no logging on for the user; each individual discussion would be
www.mysite.com/forums/1
www.mysite.com/forums/2
(or any number specified) etc
any suggestions?
Quote Reply
How will you know which record will correspond with which forum? Will there be a field in your database to say which forum? Or is there some other way?

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
If I am understanding this reight I would pre make the forums 1/2/3/4/upto whatever and then have to tie forum/1 with record 1
Quote Reply
If your forum numbers are the same as your $db_key values for the record, it wouldn't be a problem at all.

Within a print qq|...|; statement, you would add:

Code:
<a href="www.mysite.com/forums/$rec{$db_key}">Discuss this item</a>

That would do it.

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
Thankyou that worked like a dream.
Quote Reply
oops spoke too soon. I'm having the same problem that I have mentioned in an earlier thread http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...m12/HTML/002555.html in that after adding these items in sub html_record thay only show up when logged on as admin; is there where else i should make reference to for them to show up when logged in as a guest?
Quote Reply
ok figured out they were below the
Code:
if ($per_admin)
but when I try to place them above that command the record tables show inside each other!!
Quote Reply
Take a look at the other thread where I gave you replacement code for sub html_record. It might help you to see where to put the code for the discussion link.

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
Would there be a way to link different posts together? For instance, someone reads a review and they click on "add comments" and they are given a new form that has a variable stuck into it like "referrer_id=123" (referrer_id being the id of the original post). When someone goes to read the post, DB searches for items that correspond to it and the other posts are added below the original post. So it would sort of be like a threaded forum. Would this be out of the question? Any ideas are greatly appreciated!

------------------
Jason
Extreme mtb
http://extreme.nas.net
Quote Reply
Jason, I'm sorta working on something like that now. I don't know when it will be available, though. It needs to "fester" in my brain a little longer.

------------------
JPD

Quote Reply
Awesome! Your like a mind reader or something!

------------------
Jason
Extreme mtb
http://extreme.nas.net