Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Customization :

Add Permissions

Quote Reply
Add Permissions
Hi all

I'm new to dbman and have been doing a lot of reading the past couple of days. I must say that this looks like a great community of "people helping people"...always nice to see.

I have a problem with a customisation I'm trying to make and hope someone can help me out.

I've installed the Add Permissions Mod with no problems, and now I need to make a customisation using it and am not sure where/how it should be done.

The db will be used for collecting content. Basic users ("content collectors") will have mod(own) and view(all) permissions), and then there will be "editors" who should have perms set to mod(all) and view(all).

So basically, content collectors modify their own records which are added by the admin only, and once they're done, the editor can look them over and modify them. There is also a field called "approve" which I need to restrict mod permissions to the editors only, so content collectors can see this field when they view, but can't modify it.

I don't want to give the editors admin access as I'd not like them to have the ability of changing the User ID field.

We'll be paying "content collectors" and "editors" for their work and so there's every chance that editors will also do some content collecting. We'll be using the db to "tally" up the amount we need to pay each based on who collected what, and who edited what. If editors change the userid on a record, then they could make themselves some extra money and the content collector loses out...he'll also be a little mad at us I'd expect :)

Another problem I will have once I've done the fix to allow editors to modify "approved" fields for ALL records, is working out how to track which editor approved which records, so if anyone has any good ideas on this, I'd be very grateful.

Hope this is clear.