Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Customization :

A New print view

Quote Reply
A New print view
I after a successful search has been made, I would like to have a link on each record returned, to print to a printer, just the one record that they would want out of the search results that were returned. 1)search is made and displayed, say x number of records returned, 2) the user clicks on the link to print out just the one record they want printed
Thanks for your help

------------------
Quote Reply
Re: A New print view In reply to
Hey there. I think that I can help you if you are willing to do a bit of work.

There are two solutions. One is to install the Long/Short mod and include a printer button at the bottom of the record.

I have something similar working on my beta site at (one of the few things working...)
http://207.96.11.60/auction/orders/database/default.htm

Log on with admin/admin

If you like the way I have it set up, I will happily help you install the mods that I have in place.

Otherwise, you can include a button that will pass the record info to a form and then you can print out the form. Either way it is not too hard, but will take some time.

Quote Reply
After you have created the printout routines in your db.cgi and html.pl files, all you do is add an extra button in your search form:

Code:
<input type="submit" name="print_view" value="Printable View">

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
----------------------

Quote Reply
Hi dataKing,

I guess your beta site is no longer available...

However, what you suggest is exactly what I want to do: Pass the record info a form (where is is better formatted for printout) and make the printout from there.

I have seen suggestions on how to make printout as such in this forum, but how do I pass the record to a new form?

Thanks for any help!
Quote Reply
Thanks Eliot!

I think I'm nearly there. It's only that the values in the printout page are empty, so obviously I don't succed in passing the record number.

I use the short/long mod, and it is from html_record_long I need to pass the record number (in $rec?) to db.cgi and from there to my html_print_long, but I cant figure out how. It's probably simple; just one more parameter in the form for submit and one in the call of html_print_long?

Thanks in advance.
Quote Reply
Finally there after finding LoisC's posting that directed me to the discussion
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/scripts/forum/resources/Forum12/HTML/000548.html

Thanks LoisC and JPDeni!