Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Customization :

500 Internal Server Error

Quote Reply
500 Internal Server Error
I finally have the DB Man script the way it needs to be. I can run it on my Windows NT Workstation using the Xitami server. However, when I send the new db.cgi, default.cfg, html.pl, and default.db files to my intranet server, which is running Apache 1.3.6, and attempt to execute the db.cgi file, I get a 500 Internal Server Error message. This new code is replacement for old code that was previously running on the intranet server. It doesn't seems to get to a point where it's actually running the code, and I don't get any cgierror messages.

Does anyone have any ideas ? HELP !!! Crazy

Quote Reply
Re: 500 Internal Server Error In reply to
If you are not getting any cgi errors produced by dbman, the most likely prob (just from my experience!) is that the db.pl file cannot compile, either:

1)Your perl settings are different on the intranet (/usr/bin/perl etc)
2) Your paths are now different in the cfg file (compare to your old files)
3) Your db.pl file is corrupt in some way.

You could try using your OLD db.pl file with all the newer files (eg default.cfg) to see if the script is the prob or the config files.

PS I found a great prog today. Its called PERLDIVER, available from www.perlarchive.com and it will list EVERY path on your system for perl, lwp etc, and EVERY module installed on your system! Wicked!

Cheers!
Ben
------------
http://www.travel-experiences.com
Quote Reply
My guess is that the problem is within the db.cgi file. Otherwise you would probably get the DBMan "CGI-Error" page that gives a little more info about the problem.

If the file was running okay on Xitami, it means that there probably aren't any syntax errors in it. Try uploading again to be sure that you have uploaded in ASCII mode and, as Ben said, check to be sure that your path to Perl is correct.

JPD
Quote Reply
JPD,

Question ...
When is ASCII file transfer not ASCII file transfer ?
Answer ...
In ftp, when you don't specifically specify ASCII file transfer.

I always assumed the default file transfer method was ASCII. I have never had a problem until I transferred the dbman files without specifing ASCII. All kinds of errors show up.

It's working now though and everybody thats' seen it, loves it ... simple but functional - it meets the need. It's not on the internet server, but maybe someday it will be.

Thank again JPD. Cool

Quote Reply
Smile The ftp programs are so "helpful" that they try to figure out which files to upload in ASCII and which in binary mode. Usually there is somewhere in the program where you can set the file extensions for files that are to be uploaded in ASCII mode. If you're going to use a lot of .cgi scripts, it would be worth your time to add at least the .cgi extension to that list. (I would rather it uploaded in ASCII mode by default, too.)

I'm glad you got it to work.

JPD