Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Customization :

2 things: Formatting search result page and linking to full record

Quote Reply
2 things: Formatting search result page and linking to full record
I'm running two versions of DBman: (1) one which provides full records to people who have registered, and (2) one which allows anybody to search for records based on state/province. I want to format the second, public version so that the records are displayed four across and twelve total records per search return page (4 columns, 3 rows). Is there a simple way to change the search results page so that it formats in this manner, or do I have to code an entirely new module to handle it.

Second. I'd like to make each of those records linked to a page showing the entire record, not just 4 or 5 lines. I'm thinking that there should be a simple way to alter the routine to place an <a href> which calls the same information as if I had searched on the records ID number, but I haven't quite figured out what that would be.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'd like to thank the folks who developed this database, as it has taught me a lot about how code works. The documentation has been superb. Thank you.
Quote Reply
Re: 2 things: Formatting search result page and linking to full record In reply to
Ok, the first one would mean you would have to add some code to the html_view_success subroutine. You would have divide the total number of records ($db_total_hits) by four and then, depending on the remainder, print the appropriate table. Fairly complex, but possible.

So if I was you I'd start with the second one first, which can be achieved using the html_record_long mod by JPDeni. Go to JPD's site at www.jpdeni.com , follow the dbMan link > Mods and you'll find it.

Cheers,
adam
Quote Reply
Re: 2 things: Formatting search result page and linking to full record In reply to
I need to display my results in 2 columns. Does anyone know how to do this?
Quote Reply
The first thing I want to say is that, if you are looking for mods, please go to the Resource Center. All mods that are currently available are being listed there and the link to "Mods" on my site now points to the mods in the Resource Center.

bread, the first thing for you to do is install the mod which is listed in the Resource Center as

Short/long display of search results

That will give you what you want for your link to the full display. As for the results for default users, once you get the mod installed, we'll work on it.

dotcom, what do you mean by
Quote:
I need to display my results in 2 columns.

Can you give me an example of what you want?

------------------
JPD