Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : DBMan : Customization :

?? creating first custom mod -- Am I on the right track?

Quote Reply
?? creating first custom mod -- Am I on the right track?
This is somewhat scary, but I am venturing into creating my own cusom mod.... it needs to look like this:

Add -- most fields, most required fields

Modify -- same fields as Add but fewer required fields

Delete -- minimal # of fields and only enough required fields to

All have separate forms, all action is as an "Add" to the db with a field that indicates the record will be deleted, modified or added to the source DB

So, in theory, I will use the add code with 3 separately defined forms -- 3 separately defined DB's? (how can I accomplish this?) because of the differences in required fields -- and each section of code will be modified....

Am I on the right track? I'm not sure if this will accomplish what I want to do.

What about having 3 separate DB's all linked from the same menu???????? will that work?

Thanks for helping me think this through!
Lynette
Hollister, Ca
Quote Reply
Re: [ltillner] ?? creating first custom mod -- Am I on the right track? In reply to
I do something like that where one set of files is for VIEW, another for MODIFY. I use 1 DB, 2 configs, 2 html.pl, 1 format.pl, 1 auth, 1 password file.

As far as I know there must be multiple config files.

You can use 1 html.pl file, just keeping the codes seperate (ie make new subs with different names) can get crazy, so I work on 1 aspect (ie veiw) in 1 html.pl and then switch to the second aspect (ie add/modify) in a seperate file.

They all call the same DB.