Gossamer Forum
Home : Gossamer Threads Inc. : Discussion :

Where to post suggested changes to the GT libraries?

Quote Reply
Where to post suggested changes to the GT libraries?
I am not sure where to post changes (or whom to email them to), so I will give it a shot here. In another thread there was a discussion on how to search for NULL or NOT NULL fields. I suggested an addition to GT::SQL::Base::build_query_cond() in post 222726 and I am curious if the people at GT would be interested in adopting this change....

Jasper

http://www.bookings.org
Quote Reply
Re: [jaspercram] Where to post suggested changes to the GT libraries? In reply to
Hi,

Best place is in the product specific forum, or if you are just looking at GT libs in general, then right here is fine.

As for your change, we've been looking at something like that, but also would want to consider: is null, is not null, is empty, is not empty. And I'm sure some users will want empty to equal null. i.e. show me all records where a field is not empty/null. I haven't thought too much more about how best to incorporate this syntax wise.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Where to post suggested changes to the GT libraries? In reply to
Hi Alex,

Thanks for your commend.
In Reply To:
As for your change, we've been looking at something like that, but also would want to consider: is null, is not null, is empty, is not empty. And I'm sure some users will want empty to equal null. i.e. show me all records where a field is not empty/null. I haven't thought too much more about how best to incorporate this syntax wise.
If you would provide the basic options (something like '-null', '-notnull', '-empty', '-notempty'), everybody can write plugins where their own tags will be translated in the supported ones.

To give you an example, for date/time selection, GT only provides '-lt', '-le', '-gt' and '-ge', but in a form, you normally want to have three different combos for days, months and years, or one combo with a year, month combination could provide for and interval (a '-lt' and '-gt' combined). I have written a plugin (see post 221914) that supports the following extra extensions:

• -last_date_exclusive

• -first_year

• -first_month

• -first_monthday

• -first_yearday

• -first_week

• -first_year_month

• -first_year_month_monthday

• -first_year_week

• -first_year_yearday

• -first_daysfromnow

• -last_year

• -last_month

• -last_monthday

• -last_yearday

• -last_week

• -last_year_month

• -last_year_month_monthday

• -last_year_week

• -last_year_yearday

• -last_daysfromnow

• -interval_years

• -interval_months

• -interval_weeks

• -interval_days

So my suggestion would be to just make sure everything is possible, so we can make it fancy using plugins. Please keep me posted on your decision, so I know how to modify my application accordingly.

Jasper

Quote Reply
Hi Alex,

On a related matter I've been happily using the GT library as part of my general 'tool kit' (mainly the CGI and Template modules) and am having trouble because it seems the library is different between products.

eg I've licensed LinksSQL and a couple of months ago also licensed DbSQL and though I'd use the GT libs from dbSQL (being more recent) and then the other day wanted to do some mail parsing and find that the Mail.pm fails to loads because

"Can't locate GT/Text/Tools.pm in GT/Mail/Parts.pm line 18"

and sure enough there is no GT/Text/Tools included in the library from dbSQL (and its not in links sql 2.0.5 either I probably should install the upgrade - haven't got around to that yet!) Then I wonder what these tools are and if they'd be worth knowing about and head up to the forum looking for some doco etc which leads me to this forum. So what do do now - push on looking for these modules from other products or go back to an earlier version of the library? (I was doing mail parsing ok with the l version I have on LinksSQL - I wonder now if I upgrade will I break this as well or will it be fixed!).

So Question to Alex: Is it possible for someone to put the GT library and all the docu into a seperate area so people like me can get the latest library from the one spot? Interally it may help you as well as you'd know that the library was the same across all your products and you wouldn't have to manager several versions as appears to be the case now.

You could add this as a download in your products area so people who brought any product could get the current library as a download and in my case (having a couple of products and likely to get the forum soon) I wouldn't have the headache of working through issues related to which product I got the GT library from).

I'm very happy with the library through - its very well done.

regards doug
Quote Reply
Re: [dougrobb] Where to post suggested changes to the GT libraries? In reply to
Hi,

Thank you!

GT/Text/Tools isn't included in Links SQL or DBMan SQL as it's only needed for parsing mail (which only Gossamer Mail and Gossamer AutoRespond).

I've thought about putting the GT libs up somewhere, just haven't had a chance yet. If anyone else would be interested in this, let me know.

I've attached Tools.pm for you.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Thanks, I don't know where you get the time to monitor the posts!

regards doug
Quote Reply
Access to the libs would be very useful for me. Cool Access to the CVS history (through something like cvsweb.cgi) would even be better! Sly

Jasper