Gossamer Forum
Home : Gossamer Threads Inc. : Discussion :

WebGUI and GT products

Quote Reply
WebGUI and GT products
Does anyone tried to integrate this really good (and free!) CMS with GT products?
http://www.plainblack.com/spreadwebgui
Max
The one with Mac OS X Server 10.4 :)
Quote Reply
Re: [maxpico] WebGUI and GT products In reply to
Yes i tried this few months ago to connect it with GCommunity.

But never go so far, actually on first tests this CSM show poor results (too slow).

On a 4x500MHz Xeon system with 1G RAM it took 2-4 seconds to process the page and this is on local intranet, imagine for the live site Crazy

I suggest not to run this on site with more traffic, this is good for personal pages but not for production site.

Cheers,
Boris

Facebook, Twitter and Google+ Auth for GLinks and GCommunity | reCAPTCHA for GLinks | Free GLinks Plugins
Quote Reply
Re: [eupos] WebGUI and GT products In reply to
That's exactly what I want... Smile WebGUI integration with Gcommunity. You built a working solution?

If you install WebGUI under its recommended configuration (mod_perl) the performance is good. Perhaps you deployed it under CGI Mode? That CMS is employed on high traffic sites, the only problem is the initial configuration and tuning... What I care most is the real power and flexibility of the CMS and WebGui seems to be the only one so far that meets such needs (without spending more than 100,000 $ of course). Plus, it's Perl so this should facilitate integration with GT products...
Max

Last edited by:

maxpico: Sep 15, 2005, 6:59 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [maxpico] WebGUI and GT products In reply to
No I never go so far with integration, i decided not to do this for explained reason.

As for CGI mode we have GCommunity and GForum + MySQL server on this machine and the both applications works extremely fast with default installation in CGI mode. With this I compare WebGUI.

Cheers,
Boris

Facebook, Twitter and Google+ Auth for GLinks and GCommunity | reCAPTCHA for GLinks | Free GLinks Plugins
Quote Reply
Re: [eupos] WebGUI and GT products In reply to
Without offending GT, I can say that WebGUI is a far more complex product than Gcommunity and Gforum... It contains more than 100,000 lines of code. So you can't compare GT and WebGUI.
Just browse some WebGUI websites and you'll see that it can be very fast if well configured (mod_perl).

From the official F.A.Q. http://www.plainblack.com/webgui/faq

WebGUI is fast on your server, but it's slow on mine. Why?

WebGUI is a complex application. It takes a few tricks to make it run well. You can find a whole chapter on performance tuning in Ruling WebGUI. But to get you started, the best thing you can do is install mod_perl.
Max

Last edited by:

maxpico: Sep 15, 2005, 7:29 AM