Gossamer Forum
Home : Gossamer Threads Inc. : Discussion :

Recommendations on Gossamer Threads

Quote Reply
Recommendations on Gossamer Threads
We're developing a new web site to provide free video game guides and game site reviews.

I'd like to avoid building it from scratch and instead assemble it from components so that we can focus on content and marketing.

Does anyone have recent experience (either positive or negative) with Gossamer Threads in building web sites?

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: [Bob C] Recommendations on Gossamer Threads In reply to
Not personally, but I have worked with a few sites that were setup by Gossamer, and they have been pretty neat.

GT are very professional, and I very much doubt you will regret getting work done by them Smile

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Hi, Bob;

Do you mean using Gossamer Threads products, or in hiring Gossamer Threads to do the design and integration?
Quote Reply
Hi,

If you want, you can contact us and we can give you some example of sites we've been involved with in varying degrees -- from us just doing the programming all the way to us doing 100% of the site.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [webslicer] Recommendations on Gossamer Threads In reply to
I'd like to hear the pros and cons of hiring Gossamer Threads to do the design and integration of a website. Thanks.
Quote Reply
No cons....only pros!

We have had a large number of mods, integrations, custom programs and more developed by GT. All are top notch and the staff all work well with you to get the desired result. Everybody there has game and brings it to the table with each project.

Bottom line, It is very much worth it!
Quote Reply
Re: [Teambldr] Recommendations on Gossamer Threads In reply to
Yeah no cons...
Except that they're unable to meet timelines...
It's months that we're waiting a Final Community. Unsure
Max
The one with Mac OS X Server 10.4 :)
Quote Reply
We've had very good results with GT doing major upgrades and modifications on our website. The staff are very friendly and patient and know their stuff.
Belize Tourism & Country Guide
Belize News
Quote Reply
Re: [maxpico] Recommendations on Gossamer Threads In reply to
In Reply To:
Yeah no cons...
Except that they're unable to meet timelines...
It's months that we're waiting a Final Community. Unsure

Yeah, *but* remember that this Community plugin is a freebie ... thats why they don't give an exact deadline ... mainly, as a lot of people know... is because programming as an art.... and you can't rush it, even to get a half done job. They need to concentrate on their paid work, before they can work on the freebies (which is how it should be... how would you like it if you were paying for some work, and then GT decided to start work on another freebie project?).

Just

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Recommendations on Gossamer Threads In reply to
Andy,

You make good points about programming, timelines and the priority of paid business.
OTH, maybe you overstate the trivialness of the Community plugin and the delays in its release?
Maybe there are paying customers that made decisions to purchase GT products or selected GT as primary software provider based on the announced Community timeline? These would seem to be "paying" customers?
--
Rob

SW Montana's Online Community
Modular Model Railroading
Quote Reply
Re: [BeaverheadRiver] Recommendations on Gossamer Threads In reply to
True, but I can see it from GT's point of view too. Its not easy trying to fit in so many jobs (I'm juggling several jobs at the moment, and that takes up about 14-16 hours a day), so can you imagine it from their point of view?

I know for a fact there are people who have purchased GT software, specifically for use with the GT Community plugin, but although you say "...overstate the trivialness of the Community plugin ..."... it really isn't a 'trivial* plugin. There is a lot of backend work that has been done, which mean that the variety of GT products will work with this community plugin. They even brought out a new version (2.1.2), of LSQL (and others I would imagine, but I havn't followed them up). This is because the whole login interface has to be re-written, to work with the new community script (plus the old system being there too, in case the people using the script doesn't want to install the Community plugin).

Bit of a long winded post, but hopefully it got my points of view over ok Smile

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Recommendations on Gossamer Threads In reply to
Quote:
"...overstate the trivialness of the Community plugin ..."... it really isn't a 'trivial* plugin.

My point was that neither the Community plugin nor the delays in introduction are trivial. Community was announced on 10-27-01 in <this post>

From the consumers point of view, it is also reasonable to be disappointed and/or frustrated that Community "will be the glue that ties all our products together with a common user system" is still in beta two years after its announcement.

GT writes great scripts. The re-writes to make them more modular and accomodate Community will only make them better. While that is worth waiting for, it is also human to want it sooner rather than later.
--
Rob

Quote Reply
Hi Bob,

I am very happy that you have asked this question in September regarding Grossamer Threads. I am in the process of creating an E-Training environment for my company and was looking for a product that would thread similar to Outlook Express except from within a Web environment. Thus far, I am pleased with what I have seen in Grossamer Threads. I too will be looking for anyone who will respond with further pros/cons about GT. I have looked at others but GT is looking much better and so I will be installing it by December.

Please let me hear from anyone who have used the product in a similar manner.

Lester[/reply]Lester
Quote Reply
Re: [lestergn] Recommendations on Gossamer Threads In reply to
I think GT scripts are excellent. The modularity and plugins make them a generation ahead of any competitors. The support I have recieved from both the BBS and by email direct from GT has also been excellent. I have heard excellent things about GT hosting and their custom work.

I have purchased GT scripts and will purchase others as they become available.
--
Rob