Gossamer Forum
Home : Gossamer Threads Inc. : Discussion :

Why doesn't GT use Community?

Quote Reply
Why doesn't GT use Community?
Community is almost like a taboo - it's not easy to find to download and it isn't used on this site.

So, just wondering, why doesn't GT use Community?

Crazy
Quote Reply
Re: [MJB] Why doesn't GT use Community? In reply to
......and why are you still using v1.2.3 of the forum when v1.2.4 was released almost six weeks ago?

Shocked
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
Community is almost like a taboo - it's not easy to find to download and it isn't used on this site.

So, just wondering, why doesn't GT use Community?

Crazy
Hi,

I guess its due to the fact they only have GForum on the site (i.e no LSQL/DBManSQL/GList installs that need "linking").

GComm is only really designed as a "link in" system, where you can join scripts together. It would probably cause more problems having it setup here, than not having it setup (as-is now).

Also, Re why GT aren't using the latest version of GForum - it could be due to the sheer size of their database :) Obviously, when an update is being run - the whole forum has to be disabled, so isn't very much fun <G>

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Why doesn't GT use Community? In reply to
Aren't the Resources areas using GLinks?
Quote Reply
Re: [Evoir] Why doesn't GT use Community? In reply to
In Reply To:
Aren't the Resources areas using GLinks?
True, but maybe they don't think it necessary :)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Why doesn't GT use Community? In reply to
GCommunity is not even linked on the Products page.
It really looks, like it's "hidden"...

Frown

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...
Quote Reply
Re: [webmaster33] Why doesn't GT use Community? In reply to
I agree. I think GT should make it more accessable and let users know what it is for and how to use it instead of hiding it away.

There have been many occasions throughout the forums were people have requested features and have been answered with "Community can do that" to which they reply, "What's Community?".

I run LinksSQL & GForum and find Community a valuable asset to the site. It has far more control over users than any of the single applications. The IP Investigation and Signup Monitor are priceless additions to the other scripts and well worth the effort to install. Even if I only had one GT script and didn't need to link databases together, I would still use Community.
Quote Reply
One of the things we've been working on is revamping our site. Community will be listed in our products section when we put out our new site.

As for gforum 1.2.4; if you look at the changelog, there isn't anything different from 1.2.3 to 1.2.4 except for the updated libraries.

Adrian