Gossamer Forum
Home : Gossamer Threads Inc. : Custom Modification Jobs :

Minor modifications needed

Quote Reply
Minor modifications needed
Hi all! I need two minor modifications (correct term?) to my already up and running links 2 directory. I've read a few posts on how to do this myself, but I have no patience and afraid I'll mess the entire thing up Crazy

Here's what I need:

1) Insertion of rotating banner code on all current pages and any new ones generated.

2) When links are clicked on, I'd like them to open up into a new window.

Please email me privately with a quote for your services and estimated time for completion. My links page: http://links.kaliannah.com/pages

Thanks!
My Links Project:
http://links.kaliannah.com
Quote Reply
Re: [kaliannah] Minor modifications needed In reply to
For number 2, simply goto Edit Templates, and select link.html. Open it up for editing, find the reference to jump.cgi?ID=<%ID%> and add in target=_blank

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Minor modifications needed In reply to
Thank you! Worked perfect! Wink
My Links Project:
http://links.kaliannah.com
Quote Reply
Re: [kaliannah] Minor modifications needed In reply to
Although in terms of cross-browser compatibility, you should not use _blank for the target attribute, use something like target="newwin"
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Post deleted by Paul In reply to
Quote Reply
Re: [Stealth] Minor modifications needed In reply to
As already we had a discussion with Paul about target="newwin" and target="_blank". Altough both opens new window for 1st click, the 2nd and more clicks has different result, because one doesn't open new window again, while other yes.
It depends on developer what effect really wants.

We discussed out this subject in this thread: opening links to new browser window

Let me express again, that target="_blank" is the correct solution in all cases, except if developer specially wants the other mentioned effect.

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...

Last edited by:

webmaster33: Mar 20, 2003, 5:11 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [webmaster33] Minor modifications needed In reply to
Not for old versions of AOL and earlier versions of Mozilla.
Thus it is not cross-browser compatible. Yes, you are correct, if the end goal is to open multiple windows, then using _blank is fine (although won't work with all browsers).
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Re: [Stealth] Minor modifications needed In reply to
The target attribute wasn't added to the HTML specification until version 4.0 (except Strict) in late 1997, so any use of it is not compatible with certain older browsers.

When it was introduced, targets of "_blank", "_self", "_parent" and "_top" were also added at the same time. Any browser that understands target, should therefore also understand those special window names. Those that do not are very few and far between compared to those that do, or that don't understand target at all.

I'm all for making pages as compatible as possible, but with the best will in the world it isn't possible to cater for the quirks of every browser out there.

I therefore pick one of the W3C standards, and stick to it. Even sticking to HTML 2.0 (circa 1994) there will still be some browsers that don't understand certain elements or attributes though.

One other thing to note is that some public computers, such as those at libraries or Internet cafes, have disabled the new window option, even though the browser supports it. This often prevents the link opening at all.

Probably the safest thing to do is to not use the target attribute at all, and allow the visitor to decide whether to open links in a new window or the current one.