Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Perl Programming :

when you enter a password have the typed letters be ****'s

Quote Reply
when you enter a password have the typed letters be ****'s
in Perl, when running a script, is there a way so that when you type an Input (<STDIN>), it looks like ******'s instead of the word being typed? like most websites now, it doesnt show the word, but instead it shows Stars, circles, etc.. thanks for any helpSmile
Quote Reply
Re: [skateboarder83] when you enter a password have the typed letters be ****'s In reply to
I think you are missing the main point of Perl. It is a language that can be run easily via a web browser. You can use it via Telnet or SSH, as you seem to be doing, but it has such a huge ammount of limitations.

One of those being, you could overcome your problem by simply using an <input name=name password> field to show 'starred out' values....

You should really look into how to write scripts and upload them via FTP...cos Telnet is so limited Frown

Just my 2 cents ;)

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] when you enter a password have the typed letters be ****'s In reply to
Quote:
<input name=name password>

Thats type="password"
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] when you enter a password have the typed letters be ****'s In reply to
In Reply To:
You should really look into how to write scripts and upload them via FTP...cos Telnet is so limited Frown

Just my 2 cents ;)

as of right now, my using Perl does not "touch" the internet...i am just learning about it, so i am writing little programs just to learn about it...now, why would i want to use Perl to make a website as opposed to using something like Frontpage...can you do alot more with Perl? What is Telnet and FTP? if there is a billion differences, just tell me the biggest (or is it that Telnet is so limiited, and if so, what is Telnet limited to?)...this may be a huge question that really just requires "know how", if so just tell me.....thanks!!!
Quote Reply
Re: [skateboarder83] when you enter a password have the typed letters be ****'s In reply to
Goto http://www.cuteftp.com and download their free copy of CuteFTP. Install, type in your login details (most likely the same as your Telnet details)...

You will then see some folders. Go into whichever one is ok to run scripts, unpoad a test script, CHMOD to 755, and then goto your browser and type something like http://www.yoursite.com/cgi-bin/script.cgi to see it working. You should get output into your browser window.

DON'T FORGET TO PRINT YOUR HEADERS! Telnet doesn't require you to print content-types, but wit ha browser you must do something like;

print "Content-type: text/html \n\n";

Hopefully that will get you started. There is such a big world with Perl....not just very basic Telnet programs Smile

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Quote:
now, why would i want to use Perl to make a website as opposed to using something like Frontpage

They are two different kettles of fish. Perl is a programming language, Frontpage is a sucky html editor.

Quote:
What is Telnet and FTP?

Ignore telnet and go for ssh - its a secure protocol similar to telnet....see:

http://www.uni-karlsruhe.de/...h-faq/ssh-faq-2.html

FTP stands for file transfer protocol and is the method of transferring files over a network such as the internet.
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] when you enter a password have the typed letters be ****'s In reply to
In Reply To:
Quote:
<input name=name password>

Thats type="password"
what do u mean type="password"...put that in somewhere? or what...im confused.

i switched what was
Code:
$b = <STDIN>;

to
Code:
$b = <input name=name password>
Quote Reply
Noooo the code Andy suggested is HTML. He's referring to using a perl script via your web browser to make use of HTML.

You are running your scripts via the command line.
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] when you enter a password have the typed letters be ****'s In reply to
oohh im so stupid ...sorry, anyway, Paul how do i use what you suggested? the [type="password"] to output the stars?
Quote Reply
It does it automatically.
Quote Reply
where do i put it??
Quote Reply
See my reply here:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...i?post=233560#233560
Quote Reply
yeah...OK i know about paths...i just never knew or needed to know the path for the Desktop........but where do i put the
Code:
type="password"

so it outputs stars??
Quote Reply
I think Paul intended that you read all of that post he linked to - particularly the part about running before you can walk.

You cannot add the type="password" attribute to your program as it stands as it does not create or interact with a web page, and that attribute is intended to be used in HTML.

In other words, it's a lot more advanced than the level you're currently at.

If you're following examples in a book, try not to jump ahead or you will miss important basic information that other features are built upon.