Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Perl Programming :

scripts creating folders with 550 permissions?

Quote Reply
scripts creating folders with 550 permissions?
Hello,

Ok, I have 3 sites with a host that I signed up after I heard some good comments here about them.

I have installed a few scripts (perl/cgi) that I have previously also installed on other hosts/servers without this particular problem. The scripts that install end up cereating folders with "550" permissions. I brought this to their attention and first I got a reply saying that it created a folder with "nobody" and this is an issue with the script and it has to re-written to create folders with proper permissions. I have this running on other servers without any problems.

I installed a script from cpanel "interchange" it too ended up creating a bunch of folders with "550" permissions. I told them the answer I got this time was that it is a problem with cpanel.

I also have another set of scripts on another account (but on the same machine) that has created a bunch of folders with "550" permissions.

What is the real issue here? While they are running perfectly fine on another machine, why am I having this problem with this host? Can the server not be set so if it is a "nobody" folder that it sets the permission 644 or something? That way, at least I can get in via ftp or telnet and change the permissions accordingly. The problem here is that I can not change the permissions myself when the folders are set with 550.

Do you know what the real problem here is? Does it have anything do with the way the server is set up?

Thanks

Quote Reply
Re: [socrates] scripts creating folders with 550 permissions? In reply to
Quote:
it created a folder with "nobody" and this is an issue with the script and it has to re-written to create folders with proper permissions. I have this running on other servers without any problems.

That will be a problem down their end. They need to install something like SuEXEC (have a look here http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...?post=168622;#168622)

Hope that helps a bit with part of your problem Tongue

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [AndyNewby] scripts creating folders with 550 permissions? In reply to
Andy,

Thanks for your reply. Did you ever get your situation with your host resolved? May I ask who your host is/was?

I have been going back and forth with my host regarding this. But as we all know they never listen or just blame everything on the person who wrote the scripts and as usually this host says that this is an issue with third party scripts which they can not support. However, it is not just one script that is causing this problem, but several that I have installed on their server.
Quote Reply
Hi. Im afraid I didnt get it sorted. I am now just having to use web based file admin to sort out files that are owned by the 'nobody'. There are other ways, such as chown, which allows you to change the owner of a file; but this was not allowed by my host as it causes quite a few security problems.

My host is http://www.tier1host.net. They dont have SuEXEC enabled though, as they feel that would also cause a security problem. They have no problem with me enabling it though when i get my dedicated server; so im just putting up with it til then Tongue

As far as i know there is no way to write a script so it creates the file as owned by the site owner, and not nobody, so i dont really know what your host is talking about when they are saying its the scripts fault Wink

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
My host is ventures online and they are admant, not interested in solving the problem. Their replies are indicating that it is not their problem. See the reply below.

Quote:
"We've had other reports. Most scripts don't require constant manual intervention so this usually isn't that much of a problem. Clients usually just ask us to remove files/directories for them when they no longer need them."

I don't know what the hell he means by constant intervention, while I have the same set of script running perfectly fine on other host that I have. It is not just one script too, this is an issue with 3 scripts that I have installed so far. He can not get it through that I can not run any scripts if they create nobody folders.

So, I guess I will have to move.

thanks
Quote Reply
Well, my advise would be to threaten to move if they dont do something about it! I know they must get annoyed, but thats what they are paid for, right? Tongue

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
I don't know - I am totally dissatisfied with the way tech support is handled in most hosting companies. They all talk to you like you are an idiot and they will send you a one line reply blaming someone else. I know in this case as the scripts are running fine on other servers, that there is no problem with the scripts.

I moved there because I heard good things about them. I guess they all start nice when they are small and once they get the word out and have a few customers, they become coneheads. If they can not fix the problem, I at least want them to admit and say they don't know what the hell they are doing instead of blaming other people.
Quote Reply
I'm also with VO, they are really far from being coneheads. You don't get better support elsewhere.

Just out of curiosity, which script is giving you all that trouble?
Quote Reply
Re: [Tho:mas] scripts creating folders with 550 permissions? In reply to
Thomas,

Thank you - but as you can see the problem is clearly explained. So, even if you have not had problems with them, to me they are coneheads as they are not solving the problem but blaming it on the scripts. First they blamed it on cpanel and then now they are blaming the third party scripts.

The script is not just one but I have had this situation with 3 different set of scripts and I have only installed a few so far on their server.

If you want to try - go to your cpanel and install "interchange" shopping cart and then go and try to delete it from ssh and see how many files with 550 permissions it has created.

The problem I am also having with is another script that I use for email and that is available at http://www.althepal.com - the free version you can download and install if you want to. I have this one running fine on other servers too.

A reply to a support question itself does not constitute excellent support but solving the problem if there is one or admitting to not knowing the proper fix does.

Let me know what you find out.

Thanks
Quote Reply
I think this problem usually occurs with self-installing scripts. A couple of users reported such problems with Ikonboard. I just remember that issue came up for me once I installed AutoRankPro on one of their servers a long time ago.

So far, I personally found VO's support to be swift, friendly and effective. Anyhow, tomorrow I'll try to install the script you mentioned and tell you what happened.
Quote Reply
No, it is not a self installing script. See the script I have, when they create the user folders, the permissions for those folders are set as 550.

With regards to the email script I mentioned above, it creates a folder for user account with 550 permission and that is not even accessible from the browser.

Let me know tomorrow what you find out.
Quote Reply
I installed the free version of that script and faced the same problems as you did. User folders cannot be accessed from the web, I had to delete them with nobody.cgi.

Well, if you have the script running at other servers, I'd open another support ticket. At the moment VO emplaoys a few support newbies, perhaps you manage to catch a more seasoned techie.
Quote Reply
Thomas,

Thanks for testing out. That email client is one of the easiest scripts to install and have never had problems.

Anyway, I don't want to deal with their techs anymore regarding this issue. I would understand if this was an issue only with this script but not so. As far as I can understand this is an issue with some other scripts that I am using too. So, no point in talking to them when they do not have the time to respond properly. They are telling me it is the fault of the script and the script needs to be written to chmod the folders properly. So, that's where it ends.