Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Perl Programming :

script adding blank space

Quote Reply
script adding blank space
something weird is going on! the last field in each of my records contains zzzzz that is 5 z's. if i modify a record it adds a space making the field 5 characters but still 5 z's. because that field size is limited to 5 characters, i get an error message saying the field has 6 characters. if i re-submit the form with no changes, it gives an error message saying the field has 7 characters!

i listed all the records and included value of the last field and length($field); some of the records showed length of 6 although only 5 z's. when i look at file in text editor, there are no trailing spaces.i put cursor at end of line and there was no space after last z.

it's only happening in one db.

pulling my hair out! any suggestions?
Quote Reply
Re: [delicia] script adding blank space In reply to
Try some debug:

Code:
use Data::Dumper;
print Dumper(split //, $IN->param('whatever'));

Or:

Code:
print qq|String value is: "|. $IN->param('whatever') . qq|"|;

It could also be worth doing a regex on the value, to get rid of any leading/trailing spaces you don't want:

Code:
$IN->param('whatever') =~ s/^\s+|\s+$//g;

Hope that helps

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] script adding blank space In reply to
i think it's non-printable characters inserted by MS Excel. i put in a workaround that will take care of it. your code for stripping blanks is already in the code that actually prepares record for writing. thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: [delicia] script adding blank space In reply to
Mmm, well try the Dumper() part, to see what value it is :)

It could be \r, that gets put alongside \n in some editors.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!