Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Perl Programming :

rounding numbers off

Quote Reply
rounding numbers off
Below is the entire code, what do I need to add to round the resulting number off.

#!/usr/local/bin/perl

# simple math calculations

$test = 7 / 3;

print "Content-type: text/html\n\n";

print "$test";

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: rounding numbers off In reply to
Me again!

I'm not doubting you Alex, but is the Perl FAQ inaccurate so? Or do prinf and sprintf return a different result when you're removing the decimal point? This is from perlfaq4 (as if you didn't know!):

language.perl.com/newdocs/pod/perlfaq4.html#Does_Perl_have_a_round_functio

Quote:
Does Perl have a round() function? What about ceil() and floor()? Trig functions?

Remember that int() merely truncates toward 0. For rounding to a certain number of digits, sprintf() or printf() is usually the easiest route.

printf("%.3f", 3.1415926535); # prints 3.142

As I said, I'm not doubting you, I just want to make sure I get it right in future.

*fingers crossed he doesn't take offense* Smile

adam

[This message has been edited by dahamsta (edited May 27, 1999).]
Quote Reply
Use printf() or sprintf(). I wouldn't be able to explain the difference, maybe someone else will oblige. I'm always chuffed to learn the intracacies meself!

Code:
#!/usr/local/bin/perl
$test = 7 / 3;
$rounded = sprintf("%.0f\n", $test);
print "Content-type: text/html\n\n";
print "Test = $test<br>";
print "Rounded = $rounded";
exit;

The number of digits the integer is rounded to is determined by the first attribute in brackets:

No decimal point:
$rounded = sprintf("%.0f\n", $test);

Decimal point, rounded to two digits:
$rounded = sprintf("%.2f\n", $test);

Cheers,
adam

ps. Not too sure about that line break (\n) in the sprintf() function, I just pulled it from one of my scripts. Try it without...

[This message has been edited by dahamsta (edited May 27, 1999).]
Quote Reply
printf() will print the output, where sprintf() will return the output as a string. Also the newline is not neccessary.

As for rounding, neither will actually round, but only remove the decimals. If you want to round with no decimals use:

$test = int ($test + 0.5);

If you want to round to two decimals:

$test = sprintf ("%.2f", ($test + 0.5));

Cheers,

Alex
Quote Reply
Ooops, I stand corrected. (s)printf does indeed do the rounding for you, no need to add 0.5.

Cheers,

Alex
Quote Reply
Ok, so now that we know sprintf and printf round. How would I get something to truncate to, say for instance the thenths, without rounding?