Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Perl Programming :

removing links from free scripts

Quote Reply
removing links from free scripts
is something which should not be done so what do you think about using something like:

Quote:

if ($tmp->{count} < 1) {$url = "http://your.url/script$ENV{HTTP_HOST}";$get = get($url);}

with LWP::Simple to track users? It is surely not nice but...

Regards

Niko
Quote Reply
Re: [el noe] removing links from free scripts In reply to
I have to disagree with you there. Taking out peoples links in their **FREE** scripts is not very nice/fair at all. Do you realise how much work goes into these scripts? All we ask for is a simple link back.. which you don't even have to do anything to the script for it to show!

The reason I feelso strong about this, is because I offer about 10-15 free PHP/Perl scripts... and I get pretty pissed off when people take out the comments (i've started adding in more advanced codes in them now, like YaBB do), which checks to see if my link is still there.

I don't see why people can't cope with a small link at the bottom of a page. Fair enough, if it was a 468x61 banner, then I would agree it should be removed.. but a simple text links? Come on!

BTW, I'm not the only one who is annoyed by people removing links. Think about it: GT, BigNoseBird, my site, Ace-Installer.com, etc)

(I probably got the wrong end of the stick here...lol)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] removing links from free scripts In reply to
Hi Andy,

I think we two have a "serious" problem of misunderstanding Tongue . I have absulutely the same opinion about accepting links from the creator of a script which is free and I have neither written as much as you have nor do I think I am as good in coding as you or many other people are but ...
Quote:
and I get pretty pissed off when people take out the comments

... so do I and that is why I was asking the question because with the code I want to track users who installed my script. Maybe there are better ways and I will take a closer look to the ressources you mentioned above - probably there are better ways. Smile

Regards

Niko
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] removing links from free scripts In reply to
BTW: I donīt think that you disagree with me - as far as I understood you, because I wrote:

Quote:

removing links from free scripts is something which should not be done ...
Quote Reply
Re: [el noe] removing links from free scripts In reply to
Ah, too early for me :) Yeah, I see what you are saying now. I was thinking about putting these in my non-free Plugins for LinksSQL, as it seems there is a lot of hacked copies of my plugins available over the net (and scripts).

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!