Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Perl Programming :

Quote Reply
I have installed apache & perl on win98. When envoking apache it tells me: cannot determine local host name. Any answers?

------------------
T. Torrez
Quote Reply
Re: offline In reply to
Hmmm, could be two things:

1) You haven't given your computer a name. I'm not sure about Win98, but in Win95 the way to go about this would be Control Panel > Network > Identification (tab) and fill in "Computer Name" with something, your name for example. The process could be completely different with 98 though, however I'll never use 98 so I'll never know. Smile

2) You haven't set the ServerName attribute in the Apache config file. Open httpd.conf and look for "ServerName" (it should be up top somewhere). It should read:

ServerName localhost

If it doesn't, change it.

But it could be many other things that I'm not aware of. AFAIK Win98 has been set up better than 95 for networking, so if neither of those suggestions are helpful, perhaps a 98 guru might help you out...

adam
Quote Reply
I guess I should not be staying up that late!
Thanks for the help...and you don't consider yourself a guru.

------------------
T. Torrez
Quote Reply

Quote:
and you don't consider yourself a guru

Howja mean? I never said I was a guru?

adam
Quote Reply

Quote:
and you don't consider yourself a guru

Howja mean? I never said I was a guru?

adam
Quote Reply
I am not using Apache (I am using win98 with OmniHTTPd as the server) on my local machine but another file you might want to look at is called "hosts" (NO suffix) and is usually located in your c:\windows directory.

it should contain something like:
127.0.0.1 localhost

Hope that helps,
Steve