Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Perl Programming :

meta-search script...

Quote Reply
meta-search script...
I've got a meta-search script that no one seems to be able to figure out... Some of the "modules" it uses to parse html off of search sites, don't work anymore. The broken ones are yahoo, altavista, alltheweb, and altavista-audiosearch. Is there a perl guru out there that can figure out this script? If you would like to see it in action, send me a PM and I'll send you the info. Unfortunately, the author of the script disappeared and the script I was told is strange. Hmm...

Sean

Last edited by:

SeanP: Nov 26, 2002, 8:05 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [SeanP] meta-search script... In reply to
Depending on the method of parsing information from the other sites (like LWP or a simple redirection using query string parameters), the script probably doesn't work anymore because the search engines have changed their query string parameters.

Meta-search scripts are tricky to say the least, and almost not worth the investment in maintaining them.
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Re: [Stealth] meta-search script... In reply to
It uses IO::Socket, and they are broken because it parses the results via the HTML results page of each search site. When they change the HTML of their site, the mods break. What's strange is, the script is apparently so screwy, I haven't found anyone who can figure it out enough to help me update the mod files. I do agree with you that meta-search scripts are a pain to maintain. Unsure

Sean