Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Perl Programming :

just need a quick "yes" or "no" for this question

Quote Reply
just need a quick "yes" or "no" for this question
(im at school and am just wondering, so a yes or no answer will suffice)...

to have a CGI file, instead of ending the program with a .pl, do u just end it with a .cgi? and to upload that to geocities for example do i just upload it as a regular file ? thanks
Quote Reply
Re: [skateboarder83] just need a quick "yes" or "no" for this question In reply to
Depends on your server setup. Most servers will let you run .pl or .cgi. All it does is tell the server what program to run the script with....i.e. Perl Smile

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] just need a quick "yes" or "no" for this question In reply to
does CGI just run with more servers?
Quote Reply
Re: [skateboarder83] just need a quick "yes" or "no" for this question In reply to
In Reply To:
does CGI just run with more servers?
The .cgi extension was originally chosen as a means to differentiate Perl programs designed to be run via a browser from those run from the command line (which used .pl)

Not everybody follows this convention though, hence the confusion.

Of the hosts I've used, those that only accept one type (and there aren't many that don't accept both) .cgi does seem to be slightly more common.

However, your mileage may vary. Wink
Quote Reply
Re: [wysardry] just need a quick "yes" or "no" for this question In reply to
what is your server? i am looking for one with cgi-bin access and FTP...just wondering
Quote Reply
I have sites on several hosts, but I wouldn't recommend them to anyone who intends to use them to learn how to program in Perl.

Changing the settings on a pre-written program is a lot different to creating something from scratch.

I'd recommend that you install a web server on your own system if you're intending to learn how to write Perl CGI programs. Apache is the most popular, and is available on most platforms.

The machine doesn't even need to be particularly fast - I have a P133 with Apache, Perl, PHP and MySQL installed which I use for testing.

It's much better to discover you've accidentally created an infinite loop on your own machine, than after uploading it to a host where it would likely slow down thousands of other users' sites.

If you're looking for free hosting for a professionally written program, try searching FreeWebSpace.Net
Quote Reply
You tried: http://www.virtualave.net/index.gsp

Free webspace, FTP, CGI access and more.....looks ideal for what you are asking....Smile

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!