Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Perl Programming :

is there a command so the Perl program will "pause"?

Quote Reply
is there a command so the Perl program will "pause"?
i wrote a script that outputs a name after you input it...saved it as a ".pl" file (it becomes a yellow ball icon on the desktop)...when i run it, it runs and when the last "print" command is run, it almost instantenously closes, not leaving enough time to read the last line...how can i make the script stay visible for a certain length of time??

if you know anything about the TI-83+, the type of command i am looking for would be the "Pause"...
Quote Reply
Re: [skateboarder83] is there a command so the Perl program will "pause"? In reply to
Try sleep. http://www.perldoc.com is your source to find out details on this function...

Example;

sleep(10);

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [skateboarder83] is there a command so the Perl program will "pause"? In reply to
You are just popping up a command prompt. Either use your browser or open up a command prompt and run your script from there instead of just clicking the perl script.
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] is there a command so the Perl program will "pause"? In reply to
yep, sleep command works....thanks!
Quote Reply
Mm you don't need sleep if you do what I suggested :)

You should open a command prompt and then run your code from there and then it won't close at the end of execution.
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] is there a command so the Perl program will "pause"? In reply to
yeah i know, but when im showing someone whast i've written, it looks a lil better without all the other stuff...thanks though, for just checking your way is good!
Quote Reply
Code:
print "Press 'Enter' to continue...";
<STDIN>
The program will wait until the 'enter' key is pressed before continuing, allowing you to pause the program as long as you wish.