Gossamer Forum
Home : General : Perl Programming :

date manipulation

Quote Reply
date manipulation
I apologize if this has been covered in a past thread - although I have been unable to find any...

I am looking for a way to display ## days since <date>.
I would like to provide the script with the start date and have it calculate how many days it has been from then to the current date - but to display the information is DAYS only.

Any suggestions ?

Quote Reply
Re: date manipulation In reply to
have a look at the Date::Calc module available from cpan.perl.org. That does what you need

(or is it Date::Manip -one of the two, I forget which)

--mark

Installation support is provided via ICQ at UIN# 53788453. I will only respond on that number.
Quote Reply
Thanks! I've downloaded both of them and am looking at the uses now. I'm a bit concerned, tho - I have limited access to perl on my ISP's Unix Server. Is this going to be a problem? Or can it be accessed similar to the CGI.pm, etc ?
What I really need is a stand-alone script to call (SSI) that will place the calculated date in my HTML. Get Date will work, but the easiest calculation I can come up with would be to have a mod that converted it to Julian, subtracted my start date (after Julian conversion) and displayed the difference.

Any additional suggestions appreciated!

Thanks,

Keien

Quote Reply
In Reply To:
Is this going to be a problem?
Nope...

In Reply To:
Or can it be accessed similar to the CGI.pm, etc ?
If the modules are already installed in your server, then yes...codes have been provided in this forum and other forums in this site to get a report of installed Perl modules in your server.

In Reply To:
Get Date will work, but the easiest calculation I can come up with would be to have a mod that converted it to Julian, subtracted my start date (after Julian conversion) and displayed the difference
Read the documentation at http://www.cpan.org, buy a Perl book that covers modules, or read your local Perl docs in your account.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Try this.
This will retrun the difference in days between todays date and some other date.

my $start_date = "31-Oct-2000";
my $today = &date_to_unix(&get_date);

print "Content-type: text/plain\n\n";

$temp = int(((&date_to_unix($start_date) + ((&date_to_unix(&get_date)) * 86400)) - time())/86400);
$days = (($today) - ($temp));
print "Difference between start date and todays date in days - $days\n";

sub get_date {
# --------------------------------------------------------
# Returns the date in the format "dd-mmm-yyyy".
# Warning: If you change the default format, you must also modify the &date_to_unix
# subroutine below which converts your date format into a unix time in seconds for sorting
# purposes.
my ($time) = $_[0];
($time) or ($time = time());
my ($sec, $min, $hour, $day, $mon, $year, $dweek, $dyear, $daylight) = localtime($time);
my (@months) = qw!Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec!;
($day < 10) and ($day = "0$day");
$year = $year + 1900;

return "$day-$months[$mon]-$year";
}

sub date_to_unix {
# --------------------------------------------------------
# This routine must take your date format and return the time a la UNIX time().
# Some things to be careful about..
# int your values just in case to remove spaces, etc.
# catch the fatal error timelocal will generate if you have a bad date..
# don't forget that the month is indexed from 0!
#
my ($date) = $_[0];
my (%months) = ("Jan" => 0, "Feb" => 1, "Mar" => 2, "Apr" => 3, "May" => 4, "Jun" => 5,
"Jul" => 6, "Aug" => 7, "Sep" => 8, "Oct" => 9, "Nov" => 10,"Dec" => 11);
my ($time);
my ($day, $mon, $year) = split(/-/, $_[0]);
unless ($day and $mon and $year) { return undef; }
unless (defined($months{$mon})) { return undef; }

use Time::Local;
eval {
$day = int($day); $year = int($year) - 1900;
$time = timelocal(0,0,0,$day, $months{$mon}, $year);
};
if ($@) { return undef; } # Could return 0 if you want.
return ($time);
}

There may be a better way to do it, but I've tried this and it works.

Bob
http://totallyfreeads.com

Quote Reply
lanerj -

Works GREAT! Thanks for your help :)

keien

Quote Reply
Hi Bob

Thank you for your tid bit of code. I have been looking for that answer on the web for a while and everyone directed me to some complex modules which bogged down my programs. Your tid-bit did the trick very well and it's so simple. 'doh!

Thank you

Wil

Quote Reply
Glad I could help.

Bob
http://totallyfreeads.com

Quote Reply
Mark:

I'm off on a new date math issue and remembered you mentioned the module "Date::Manip" in this thread.

I've downloaded and installed the module without fail. I've even managed to call it from DBMAN and get some output ... here's my problem.

I'm allowing a date entry field. I want to take the date entered and add 35 days to that date and place it as another field. This all works fine, except that my date entered is as : 01-JAN-2001 and the MANIP is giving me results as: 20010101 08:00:00

Have you worked with this module? Have any recommendations for removing the TIME portion and reformatting the date?

Here's what I have:
if ($in{'EPD'}) {
$in{'DPD'} = (&DateCalc($in{'EPD'},"+ 25 business days"));

}
and the "formatting stuff" that SHOULD produce the results I'm looking for:
$format = "%d-%b-%Y";
$string = &UnixDate($date,$format);

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

keienb